Start a new topic

Goto Object Shortcut

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Could you add a Goto Object shortcut (Ctrl-G) that opens a small dialog window and allows the user to type in the name of the object they are interested in. As you type, there would be a list of objects that partially match what has been typed so far (wildcarded on either side). Items should be listed below the text box with their fully qualifed names, and their type (table, sproc, view, etc...). User can use the arrow keys to choose on and hit return to have the object viewer display the object. Possibly allow Ctrl-Return to open the object browser in a new window.

Thanks,
Stu

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Goto Object Shortcut
Sorry, forgot to mention that the search should be case insensitive.

Thanks,
Stu
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Stuart, This is possible currently via the "Search" feature. While in the objects tree press Ctrl+F (Windows/Unix) or Command+F (Mac) to open the Search tab (or select "Search" in the right click menu while the database connection is selected). Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi,

That certainly works, but I was thinking of something that would be a bit quicker. I don't know if you've ever used IntelliJ Idea. It has a number of 'Goto...' keybindings that are accessible from anywhere in the app. You can literally get to where you want in about 5 keystrokes (see attached pic - Ctrl-N, [C], [A], [DownArrow], [Return]). Having something like this to quickly flick between tables would be great. The current search feature requires you to get focus onto the tree pane, Ctrl-F, get the focus into the text box, type/partial type the object name, and then select it from the result list. I don't need to search for it. I know what it is called and where it is, it's just I waould like a quicker way of getting there than by having to scroll up and down the treeview. The database I'm working with at the moment has over 616 tables, 79 views and 1515 stored procedures in it. When I'm trying to flick back and forth between various tables, it is quite hard to find them in the treeview.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Stuart, I am thinking of introducing "IDEA" as my middle name:-) Use it all days. You're right about their popup pane, it's very useful. I'll add your request to the feature list. It relates to our plans of introducing a "favorites" feature (replacing the current bookmark management). I think this should go in the same scope as the favories feature is supposed to handle not just SQL statements but also database objects. The IDEA popup pane is certainly useful in this case not only looking for favorite objects but also in general as a shorthand variant of the current search feature. Thanks! Regards Roger

Great - Thanks!