Start a new topic

Preserve user defined grid column arrangments between sessions

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi folks @dbvis.com, it would be cool if dbvis would remember my custom grid layout arrangements of every single column of every single db object. For instance the column sort order, wether i draged the columns around with the mouse or by column chooser. Or the user modified width of each column. Espacially if you have db objects with many columns so that the columns don't fit altogether in your window, you may want to move the more import ones to the front (left) to have them handy in sight altogether. So if those settings would be restored every time the object is displayed in the grid this would be really helpful. I searched the documentation for a feature like this but couldn't find it anywhere yet. But anyway, thanks for this really great app. roland

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Preserve user defined grid column arrangments between sessions
Hi Roland, Most of what you are asking for is already supported and saved between sessions for all database object types and viewers except the Data tab. - Re-arranging columns by drag & drop in grids - Re-arranging columns using the Column Chooser - Adjusting column widths by drag - Control visibility of columns using Hide Column or the Column Chooser (Sorting and any selections are not saved between sessions) To enable save of the Data grid layout you need to set the following property in Tool Properties / General tab and in the "Specify overridden Java VM Properties" text area: -Ddbvis.savedatacolumns=true (The grid layout configuration is saved per object type and not individual object instances). In addition you may control the appearance of what tabs to show and the layout for a specific object type: - Drag object view tabs to desired location - Hide a tab by closing it Tab layout changes are made persistent using the "Save as Default Layout" in the tab (group) right-click menu. The currently active tab at Save will be the active tab at next open of an object of that type. I hope this is what you are looking for. Regards Roger

1 person likes this
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Preserve user defined grid column arrangments between sessions
Hello Roger, sorry, totally overlooked your reply at first, even the watch email (shame on me...) But after having the same 'problems' again, i came back to this and finally found your helpful tips. Yeah, great! The two features to 'save of the Data grid layout' and 'save as the default layout' are really the two things i looked for. Many thanks for your great help! roland