Start a new topic

function list in sql-Editor oracle package

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hello I´m working a lot with very large oracle packages. It´s not very comfortable to navigate thru a list of 100 functions or more in the sql-Editor of DBVis. Mostly I´m switching to notepad++ because of the function-List feature. Is it possible to add a Function-List window in the sql-Editor on the right side? In notepad++ I´ve configured to list all lines with the words :"create Package" ,"create package body" ,Function ,Procedure ,Type ,"is Table of" ,Record and cursor. This is a very primitive solution, but it works fine (would be great to have this feature in dbvis). Normally the package source files are provided in Source-controlled directories and it´s important to analyse the source in the editor (not the source of the installed package - during work process the code is different) . Regards Kurt

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: function list in sql-Editor oracle package
Hi Kurt, Can you please clarify a bit? Are you looking for a way to more easily find a function or procedure in a package or package body? For now, the Find dialog(s) is all we offer. We could definitely add more support in the Package/Package Body editors, but the SQL Editor is generic and "doesn't know" that you are currently working with a package so it is harder to add features for this there. Can you describe in more detail how the "function-List" feature in notepad++ works? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, > Are you looking for a way to more easily find a function or procedure in a package or >package body? For now, the Find dialog(s) is all we offer. Yes of course. I ´m sure of the find Dialog (I don't like it very much ) . >Can you please clarify a bit? I will try. I don't want to extend the package editor. It´s not necessary. In my opinion this is a tool for working quick and dirty. Normally functions, procedures (and Oracle packages) are held in plain ascii-files and the job is to work with this files. I´m editing these files with the generic SQL Editor. After editing I save the files on disk and execute the sql buffer. The idea is to create a window on the right side of the generic editor called "Function list". Because the generic Editor don´t know we are working with oracle packages, we have to simplify and we must look for reserved words only, in the actual content. It's not necessary to interpret the inner logic. With loading the source file the mechanism has to parse the source and produce a search result, listed in the window "function list". By clicking on a line in the search result it must be possible to jump to the associated line in the source. That´s all. If the mechanism is only looking for some reserved words it would be possible to configure other SQL-dialects too. It must be possible to sort the resultset by name or by line order. And it must be posible to configure an autorefresh time in mSecs and we need a button for manual refresh. > Can you describe in more detail how the "function-List" feature in notepad++ works? I´m working with notepad++ v6.5.1. In this version they have added a feature called "function list" The "list" is configured by a xml-file c:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\functionlist.xml. I´ve configured the section for SQL like this: the work is done in the lines "mainExpr" and "nameExpr". I´m not really good in regular expressions, but this is sufficient to work with sql sources containing code for one or more packages or just a bunch of procedures or functions. I think this would also work with SYBASE, MSSQL, or POSTGRES scripts. I hope this clarifies my idea. Best Regards Kurt ps If you want to think in major dimensions then think about a big project you have to work on. For excample 100 files of procedures and functions and packages. The wonderful objectbrowser of DbVis is no real help in this case. If working with normal programming languages (java ,Delphi (my favourite) ) there is always a kind of "project-management window". DbVis is "just" looking for single Objects already created in a Database, the SQL-Editor is dangling in the air. Imagine if it would be possible to scan a directory-tree, list the files in a project window and start working by clicking on a File in this project window. Edited by: Kurt Moeller on 15.08.2014 13:16 Edited by: Kurt Moeller on 15.08.2014 13:42
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Kurt, Thanks for the clarification. I have opened a ticket to look into this. Best Regards, Hans