Start a new topic

One year of DbVisualizer

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I've been using DbVisualizer Pro almost daily for a bit over a year now on MacOS X with PostgreSQL and SAP MaxDB databases. Here is some feedback in no particular order. It is very much possible that the one or other thing is already possible/present somehow, but I didn't find it yet... - [Mac] When you double-click a word, continue to hold down the button and drag to select more text, the standard Mac behavior is to select word-wise. DbVisualizer selects the word upon double-click, but then selects character-wise when extending the selection. - [Mac] The default Tab switching shortcuts (CTRL-Arrow left/right) collide with the Mac system shortcuts to switch spaces (virtual desktops). Safari uses Command-Shift-Arrow left/right to switch tabs. Maybe that would also be a good default shortcut for DbVisualizer? - [Mac] If possible, I'd love to have an option to use the native Open/Save-Dialogs. This would allow to easily navigate to recently used folders or favorites. - In Graphs, using Mouse scroll zooms in/out. I'd prefer if it would scroll within the graph, especially since the usual Mac mice and trackpads allow scrolling both up-down and left-right. - I'd like to see a dark theme for DbVisualizer - I often find myself switching back and forth between the same tables in different databases (development/staging/production). In SQL Commander it's easy to switch between connections, but not so for other views (e.g. Table). - When I started using DbVisualizer I was searching for a "Foreign Key" tab for a while until I realized there is a "List" view in the "References" tab - All Tables / References tab: Selecting the tab first loads all tables of the DB into the graph and only then allows to select "Specified Tables" and narrow the selection. Populating the graph takes a while on a DB with hundreds of tables... Maybe it would be an option to start in "List" (instead of "Graph") mode, which I would expect to populate faster. One could then select the tables of interest and switch to "Graph" to get a graph of the selected tables. - Single Table / References tab / Graph mode: An option to show both Imported and Exported Keys in the same graph would be nice. - Single Table / References tab / List mode: It would be nice, when update and delete rules would show in human readable form (CASCADE/SET NULL/...) instead as number. I've probably spent hours finding out which number means what, as I tend to forget the "number to meaning mapping" just seconds after I have the info I need. - All Tables / References tab / Graph: I never really managed to get a useful print output of a graph with more than a hand ful of tables. Usually the printout ended up beeing to small. Arranging the tables to fit on multiple pages is rather cumbersome and the layout is lost the next time you open the view. I don't know how to make it better though... - SQL Commander: Is there a command to join lines? I couldn't fine one. - SQL Commander / SQL formatter: Is there a way to tell the SQL formatter to just fix the indentation but leave the rest alone? In most cases it does too much for me... - Excel Export: I often do Excel "reports" for a customer. I usually include the SQL, but move it to a different Excel sheet in the same document. This hides it a bit away from the customer who usually isn't interested in the SQL, but simplifies my life when the same output is desired a few weeks later. I then open the document in Excel, make the header columns bold, enable the "Auto filtering" for the header row in Excel and then adjust the column width for the whole table. It would be nice if some steps could be done during export. - Export / Output destination: Could you provide a default file name pre-populated in the "File" field, please? Currently you need to enter a file name on every export. - Export / Output destination: It would be nice if the file name and location could also be saved in the settings. - Databases tree / Search as you type: A shortcut to move to the next match for the entered text would be nice. - Databases tree / Search as you type: An option to also search collapsed nodes (of already connected databases) would be nice. - Databases tree: The tables are buried quite deep in the tree. For a Postgres Database it is: [connection name] / "Databases" / [database name] / "Schemas" / [schema name] / "Tables". I know there are more complex cases, but in 90% you probably want the tables of ONE database in ONE schema for ONE connection. Maybe there is a way to get there faster. You can use filters to reduce the number of items on each level, but not to reduce the number of levels. Favorites would work fine for that, when the favorites could be expanded in the Favorites tab. - To migrate data from a SAP MaxDB database to a PostgreSQL database, I use the SQL Export functionality to export the data as INSERT statements. My connection to the source database is not the fastest on earth, so I decided to install DbVisualizer on the Linux machine hosting the source database and do the export via command line. Unfortunately that server has no xauth installed, so I couldn't use SSH X11 tunneling to configure the driver, license and connection. I ended up configuring DbVisualizer on a different Linux machine and copy over the installation directory and ".dbvis" folder to the target machine. I'll probably don't have to do that again anytime soon, but I sure wish I had a way to configure DbVisualizer on the command line without GUI... - Possibly a Beta issue: Databases tree / ... / some_table -> "Export table...", SQL to SQL Commander, include table data, everything else off -> "Export" gives the following error on the "Log" tab: [@EXPORT - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs] Parameter 'sqlqualifycolumnname' is not valid for this command That's all for now. Thanks a lot for a great product! Timo ----- Product: DbVisualizer Pro 92.2335 [Build #2335] [BETA VERSION] OS: Mac OS X OS Version: 10.9.5 OS Arch: x86_64 Java Version: 1.7.0_71 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: One year of DbVisualizer
Hi Timo, Thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions. Just to let you know we will carefully look through the list and get back to you in case we have any follow-up questions. The last item in the list: "- Possibly a Beta issue: Databases tree / ... / some_table -> "Export table...", SQL to SQL Commander, include table data, everything else off -> "Export" gives the following error on the "Log" tab: [@EXPORT - 0 row(s), 0.000 secs] Parameter 'sqlqualifycolumnname' is not valid for this command" This is a regression and is fixed in the upcoming beta version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: One year of DbVisualizer
Timo, The @export error is NOW fixed in the latest 92.2339 beta version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger Edited by: Roger Bjarevall on 2014-dec-17 15:04