Start a new topic

SQL Editor -- slow key response when typing

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. Typing in the new editor seems slow, you can see and feel the delay as characters get slowly displayed. This most becomes frustrating when I use Backspace to delete a bunch of chars on a line... Also, just to test, i pressed and held a key. As keystrokes were shown in the editor, the Task Manager was displaying a 24% CPU utillization for the dbvis PID There is no configuration for 'keystroke' delay, is there? Anyone else seeing this? Product: DbVisualizer Personal 8.0 Build: #1689 (2011/06/16 12:10) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_24 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL Editor -- slow key response when typing
Alex, Currently we have no access to a dual monitor setup running XP natively. As I said, I am not sure that XP is the only component needed in order to repeat the problem. I am fully aware and respect that this kind of situations are really annoying. However, currently we haven't received any other complaint about slow editor response nor bad scrolling performance with version 8.0. Are you able to repeat the behavior on other machines with similar configuration (OS, dual monitor, etc)? Also, is the sluggish performance visible only in the editor or also in other text fields? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger.. Yes, it it frustrating, especially when I dont see this issue when I use other apps, such as Toad, SQL Server Management Studio, Word or even IE.. I even put them (apps) side by side to see if the performance takes a toll on all apps, but as soon as I move my mouse away from dbVis onto other app's space, the other app performs normally.. As soon as I move back to dbVis, same issue... Just to check, I installed *7.5 (*version that has the old sql editor) -- and the issue is NOT observed. It affects all of dbVis GUI, menus, typing, scrolling ... And again, the issue disappears after I do the 'work-around' mentioned earlier... Thats whats interesting..... HOWEVER, as I was typing this response, I decided to try this flag -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false . Restarted dbVis (8.5) and the issue is *gone*... Tried the same w/o the flag by turned off Direct3D in dxdiag tool --- the issue is gone.. .. ..... So, is 8.# is using Direct3D differently than 7.5 ?

Hi Alex, The main difference between the apps you've tested with and DbVisualizer is that DbVisualizer is Java based while the others are native. It was great to hear the issue is gone when you disable Direct3D. The use of d3d is hidden completely in Java and possibly 3:rd party components that is used in DbVisualizer. There is no change in our codebase regarding that in version 8. However, the main difference in v8 compared with previous versions is that we are now using a new editor component which may explain why you experience the changed behavior. I will check with the vendor if they are aware of any problems and if the specifically use d3d based code. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I was having the exact same problem. (Ubuntu 11.10, DbVisualiser 8.07) The SQL editor has a 1-2 second delay for key presses, once the editor has been used once or twice. I inserted *-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false* into the shell script and everything fine now.

Just a me too - comment, ran into this when upgrading to 64-bit Ubuntu LTS with nvidia native driver and OpenJDK and running Dbvis 9 series. The setting mentioned above fixed it. However isn't the file dbvis.vmoptions a preferrable place for these kind of settings?

Jonas, You are correct in that the *dbvis.vmoptions* file is the recommended place to set JVM properties. Regards Roger

Still correcting myself as the response grew again after some time. Actually sun.java2d.d3d is valid only on Windows platforms. However the setting sun.java2d.opengl=true fixes the slow response.

Still still updating myself. The opengl setting has no effect at all, only the fact, that the application is restarted. Still with 64-bit ubuntu 12.04 I can reproduce the following behaviour, with both Sun Java and OpenJDK with version 9.0.4 and also 8.0.11 1. Open a new tab - Typing speed is not an issue 2. Select some text - Typing speed is down to a crawl, characters written flush out once a second, about Close the tab and opening a new restores the speed. Other open tabs are unaffected. Other java ui tools eg Eclipse, jedit are not affected.

Jonas, Are you using a plain install of Ubuntu 12.04 or are there any add-on features enabled such as window manager, themes, etc? I just tried 12.04 LTS and Java 1.7.0_07 and the typing speed in the editor is constant for me. Regards Roger

In case it helps, I can confirm the same behavior. I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 now but the same issue was happening with 12.10. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.6 Build: #1928 (2013/04/14 09:44) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_04 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Linux OS Arch: amd64 OS Version: 3.8.0-19-generic

Andy, Does any of the previously posted workarounds work? Regards Roger

Roger, So far so good. When I saw your message yesterday the issue was still happening after trying all the posted work arounds. Before I replied I checked for updates. I noticed 9.0.7 was out so I upgraded to that and have not seen the issue for the last two days. If I see the issue again I'll post a reply. Thanks, Andy

Andy, Please do let us know if you see the issue again. Regards Roger

Yes, several of us here using 9.0.6 on laptop over VPN are experiencing this delayed responsiveness. This on Win7 machines. Can you let me know, specifically what line to add to the vmoptions file that might help? Thanks! Ray

Hi Ray, Please upgrade to the latest 9.0.x version (9.0.9) before looking into adding options. At least one person reports that the problem disappeared with version 9.0.7, which included an updated version of the editor component. We recommend that you always upgrade to the latest version, and a license that is valid for one feature version (e.g. 9.0) is always valid for all maintenance releases for that feature version so you don't have to worry about needing a license renewal. In fact, your license may be valid also for another feature version (e.g. 9.1) as long as the feature version was released before the Upgrade Expiration Date of your license (see Help->License Key for the Upgrade Expiration Date and http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/ for release dates). Best Regards, Hans