Start a new topic

Installation Error on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi All, Problems with DbVisualizer Personal 8.0.3 Java: 1.6.0_22 Running on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit 1- Startup ... could not read XML file: /home/kent.dbvis/config70/dbvis.xml Error is: Error on line 1: Premature end of file 2- Creating a connection JCBC Driver selection drop down is empty Does anyone have a fix for this? Appreciate all replies. Thanks, Kent

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Installation Error on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit
Kent, The error indicate that your settings file is broken. The settings are stored in the following file: /home/kent/.dbvis/config70/dbvis.xml There should be a dbvis.xml.bak file in the same directory. Hopefully it is good so that you can just copy it over the dbvis.xml file and give it another try. If the problem continue you will need to grab a copy from your system backup. The last resort is simply that you remove the dbvis.xml file and let DbVisualizer create it for you at next run. This will then of course clear all your database connection definitions and other settings you've modified. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi- I'm having the same issue with the latest version of DBVis. There was no backup copy of the dbvis.xml file, so tried deleting the file. The program would not re-open. So I tried uninstalling it, downloaded a new copy, reinstalled, and it started up with the same issue. It won't remember any databases I add, and now that I've reinstalled, it's not connecting to any database drivers. I'm using Linux Mint 15 with KDE. Thanks! Summer

Summer, Make sure no instances of DbVisualizer is running. Then remove the dbvis.xml file and start DbVisualizer again. That should create the file for you. If the problem keep appearing, what does the dbvis.xml file contain? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger- That seemed to do the trick this time... I'll let you know if it happens again and send you the contents of my dbvis.xml file. Thank you so much! Summer

There is now a fix in the 9.2.8 version that prevents settings files from being destroyed if performing an uncontrolled shutdown of Windows (power off). http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger