Start a new topic

Super slow to open

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. One of the users is having an issue of dbvis opening *extremely* slow. First thing that happens is the dbvis window frame with noting in it.. After about 2 minutes, the GUI is painted. Clicking on File-Open (for the first time) also takes another 30 seconds... Not sure if its a coincidence, but he has Java 1.7.0_70 .. Please help.. thanks. Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.1 Build: #1907 (2012/12/17 12:05) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: *1.7.0_07* Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Super slow to open
Hi Alex, The following was posted by another user just recently: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=15401 Another old problem that may affect performance is if there are big files on the desktop: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=7807 I hope some of these help fix the problem. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger We tried setting WorkingDirectory to C:\temp. Desktop does not have any large files. The issue persists... How can we track where the issue is coming from? thanks

Hi Alex, Please enable debugging, restart DbVisualizer and send us the debug output: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/faq/#4.11 Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Trying to follow _http://www.dbvis.com/doc/faq/#4.11_ .. I cant find Debug category in Tool Properties. Is it the same as Tools - Debug Window menu? And i dont see the level of details option either. thanks Edited by: AlexML on Dec 18, 2012 3:46 PM

Hi Alex, Looks like you're reading the instructions for older versions of DbVisualizer. The relevant part is: For DbVisualizer 6.5 and newer: Open Tools->Debug Window Enable Debug DbVisualizer Make sure Log Destination is set to Debug Window Best Regards, Hans

From user's machine: ------------------------- Product Information ------------------------ Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.1 Build: #1907 (2012/12/17 12:05) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.7.0_07 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1 ------------------------- Connected Databases ------------------------ --------------------------- Debug Printouts -------------------------- 16:*26*:34 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 DbVisualizerGUI.initialize] Init time: 28.891 16:*28*:35 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 R.?] AutoSaver started. Interval: 10 sec

Hi Alex, The log says that DbVisualizer started in roughly 29 seconds when you had debugging enabled. Are you saying it is taking much longer than that? Best Regards, Hans

Hans, Yes. Please look at the times in the previous post: 2 minutes between the log messages. 16:*{color:#ff0000}26{color}*:34 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 DbVisualizerGUI.initialize] Init time: 28.891 16:*{color:#ff0000}28{color}*:35 [DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 R.?] AutoSaver started. Interval: 10 sec

Alex, Is the DbVisualizer splash displayed instantly when launching DbVisualizer? Are there any other windows displayed between the appearance of the splash and until the main window appear? Did the user run older versions without any issues before upgrading to 9.0? Does this just happen to a specific user or several? Are you aware of any differences in the environments for this problem machine compared with for example your where it (as I assume) run fine? The problem is most probably related to the setup of the machine and we are unfortunately not aware of any other workarounds then those previously posted. I suspect it is related to file system access. The users home directory and the path to the .dbvis settings directory is listed in Tool Properties->General pane. Files in this .dbvis directory are accessed during startup, is that directory located on the local machine or on a remote file server? Please let us know your findings. Regards Roger

Roger The only difference is the Java version as I mentioned in my original post. User had no issues with 8.# .. Now... I think i've made some progress in pinpointing the possible area where the issue is coming from .... User had Synthetica Standard look and feel... As soon as Metal or Windows is selected and dbVis restarted, it loads up fast... As soon as he switched it back to Synthetica, same issue... Switched it back to Windows, the issue is gone again. What do you make of this?

Alex, Thanks for pinpointing the problem a bit further. What happen if you temporarily switch to Synthetica on your box which I assume otherwise work properly? Regards Roger

Roger I do have it set to Synthetica Standard on my box. No issues. I just have a diff Java ver: Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.0.1 Build: #1907 (2012/12/17 12:05) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: *1.6.0_33* Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows XP OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 5.1

HI Alex, Is the box with the slow performance fully upgraded in terms of graphics card drivers, etc? As it works fine with your box it must be related to the config of the other machine. It is unfortunately very difficult for us to determine what are different between the two and possible solutions. Regards Roger

Yes, it is actually a faster machine. But if you dont see anything that could cause this that may pertain to that particular visual style, thats ok, he settled for a different style :) thanks