Start a new topic

Multiple rows of SQL Commander tabs

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

In 8.12 if you had many SQL Commander tabs open, they formed rows of tabs. In version 9, when the tabs don't fit I get a 'list'. How can I get the 8.12 behaviour in 9? I looked in 'look and feel', but maybe I overlooked it. Edwin

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Multiple rows of SQL Commander tabs
Edwin, Rows of tabs are no longer supported in 9.0. The main reason is that DbVisualizer rely on a new framework based on single row tabs. In 9.0 you can modify the default naming scheme for tabs in Tool Properties->General->Appearance->Tabs. It is also possible to rename Object View, SQL Commander and Result Set tabs. These two features can be used to shorten the titles and so make room for more tabs. We are also looking into alternatives to easily show the list of tabs and allow switching. Read more about the new tab management in the following page: http://www.dbvis.com/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=4298 Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try to not have that many tabs open :)
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, There are so many complains about single row SQL Commander tabs.. What was the main reason of choosing the framework based on single row tabs? Also, is it possible to have object view tab visible all the time? Thanks, Yuri.

Yuri, There are many reasons for the single row tab layout: - Rename-able tabs - New close button in tab header (for SQL Commander, Object View and Monitor tabs) - Re-arrange tabs with drag & drop - Drag tab to align side-by-side with other tabs - Save tab layout between sessions - Double-click to maximize - Minimize support for Databases, Scripts and Favorites tab - Drag a tab out of main window to show in separate window (float) There are also other features not yet enabled in DbVisualizer. If you enable "Preserve Object View tabs between Sessions" in Tool Properties->General->Appearance->Tabs any open object view tabs will be kept between sessions. I suggest you look into the following document that gives an overview with the new capabilities: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/tabs/tabs.html Best Regards Roger

Roger, I respect your choice and wish users enjoy the features you've described. My choice is not using v9 for serious work and not recommending it to my clients because in my opinion the new single row SQL Commander tabs layout is not appropriate for a DB tool. Best regards, Yuri.

Totally agree with you, Yuri, pre 9 versions had this multiline feature. I usually open and working with many tabs, it;s really frustrating now to work with tabs all in one row.

Hear, hear Yuri, your comments are exactly how I feel as well. Version 8 is superior to version 9 -- my productivity is higher with v8 and that is what I continue to use and recommend. V9 eliminated the multiple rows of tabs, but also the ability to right-click a table name and Script Object to New SQL Editor (i.e. select * from table_name), and the ability to right-click on a SQL Editor tab to open a new one. Dragging a table name now opens the Script Table dialog instead of just pasting the name (they did eventually create a hard-to-find preference to go back to the old behavior). Renaming and re-ordering tabs in V9 is nice but the features taken out are more important to me than the new features which were added. I think it is terrific that the DBVis team tried a new framework, I'm sure they worked very hard with the intention of improving the program. But when a majority of users are telling you that the old version was better, it's OK to admit defeat, reverse course, and focus on pleasing the people who are actually paying the bills.

Hi, I am sorry to hear you are not fully pleased with the changes in 9.0. We carefully analyze any change in existing functionality to minimize the risk current users are left in the wild. 9.0 was a major release with some noticeable changes that we had to consider in order to deliver features that had been requested by many users for a long time. To address the features you specifically experience as stopping you from upgrading: 1) Creating SQL editors In 9.0 you can create a new SQL editor with one of: - File->New SQL Commander - SQL Commander->New SQL Commander - The right-most toolbar button with a green "play" icon and a plus sign In addition can editors be created with the Ctrl+T key binding. 2) Drag & drop of object names Drag & drop of one or multiple objects into an editor will (as you say) by default open the Scripting feature. To instead copy the names without showing the scripting window hold Ctrl (Windows/Linux) or Alt (Mac OS X). This behavior can be reversed in Tool Properties->General->SQL Commander and the "Drop Database Object in SQL Editor" setting. Reversed means that a plain drag & drop will only copy the object names while Ctrl/Alt will open the Scripting feature. Changing this setting is a one time operation as it will persist between DbVisualizer sessions. 3) Scripting objects without the scripting window To script objects by selecting one of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE from the right-click menu (pre 9.0 versions). A short snippet of XML need to be added to the database profile for the actual database in 9.0 (the following is an example to enable this for MySQL): [nobr] [pre] [/pre] [/nobr] In the upcoming 9.1 version this block can be added to a custom database profile and survive version upgrades (which is not the case in 9.0). If you let me know what database you are using I will prepare the profile with this extension so you can give it a test. 4) Multi-row tab groups This is one of the changes that we are not able to revert or workaround in the short term. I hope the above will help you getting version 9 closer to how older versions work. Regards Roger

illmatic, that is a matter of opinion. I loved version 8, however, it wasn't superior to version 9 (but this too is a matter of opinion). There was a list of things I wished were better in version 8. Version 9 has solved the majority of the issues I had with version 8; now that I am using version 9 there were moments of oh, FLIP, I can do that now. As for the multiple rows of tabs, yeah I am guilty of using this like there was no tomorrow. However, version 9's way has grown on me. Actually, I have changed IntelliJ to that look as well, it is cleaner, it doesn't take up much needed space from what you are doing. Great job DBVis team, keep moving forward.

Thanks Levi! Regards Roger

Levi, it is a matter of opinion..and a lot of other things. Have you ever had 100 SQL editors opened and didn't realize you have them?