Start a new topic

app periodically stalls after executing sql for about a minute....

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi.. I think i only noticed it with 9.1.5 version... Periodically, after clicking on execute, the app would become unresponsive for about 40sec-1min before actually returning to sanity.. Any idea what could be going on here?: you can see a 40 sec wait below... 14:04:11 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 14:04:11 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 C.?] DefaultEditor22: SybConnection.createStatement() 14:04:11 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 B.?] DefaultEditor22: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()") 14:04:11 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 N.?] DbConnection='SYBAMR_ETMA_DEV_DS01' Catalog='tss_ds_dev2' Schema='dbo' Table='cemr_CurBudgetStatsEOD' 14:04:11 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 E.?] RootConnection: SybDatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys("tss_ds_dev2", "dbo", "cemr_CurBudgetStatsEOD") 14:04:11 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 14:04:11 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 C.?] DefaultEditor22: SybConnection.createStatement() 14:04:11 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 B.?] DefaultEditor22: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()") 14:04:11 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 N.?] DbConnection='SYBAMR_ETMA_DEV_DS01' Catalog='tss_ds_dev2' Schema='dbo' Table='cemr_CurBudgetStatsEOD' Column='%' *14:04:11* [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 E.?] DefaultEditor22: SybDatabaseMetaData.getColumns("tss_ds_dev2", "dbo", "cemr_CurBudgetStatsEOD", "%") *14:04:50* [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 14:04:50 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 C.?] DefaultEditor22: SybConnection.createStatement() 14:04:50 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-4 B.?] DefaultEditor22: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()") Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.5 Build: #2105 (2013/12/16 09:38) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.6.0_65 Java Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc. OS Name: Windows 7 OS Arch: x86 OS Version: 6.1 Edited by: AlexML on Jan 17, 2014 2:14 PM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: app periodically stalls after executing sql for about a minute....
Alex, I may have missed due to the now very lengthy post but did you ever got a chance trying the jTDS driver? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger I am using JTDS-7 from jconn4.jar from Sybase Do you want me to swich and use jtds.jar; class: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdb.Driver url: jdbc:jtds:sybase://<server>:<port5000>;DatabaseName=<database>

Yes, please give it a try. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

OK, I switched one connection, others will still use jtds-7. I will let you know as soon as I see find something.

Perfect! What I am interested in is whether the problem you experience is driver related. Regards ROger

Roger Happened again using the *JTDS* driver:. The app was unresponsive for almost 2 minutes... 09:58:10 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-10 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 09:58:10 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-13 C.?] DefaultEditor90: ConnectionJDBC3.createStatement() 09:58:10 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-13 B.?] DefaultEditor90: JtdsStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()") *09:58:10* [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-10 F.?] Edit not allowed: More than one table is referenced in the FROM clause *{color:#ff0000}09:59:58{color}* [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-10 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 09:59:58 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-14 C.?] DefaultEditor90: ConnectionJDBC3.createStatement() 09:59:58 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-14 B.?] DefaultEditor90: JtdsStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()")

Hi Alex, This continues to baffle us. At this point I'm thinking it's the rendering of the result set that may take such a long time. When you see this, how large is the result set, i.e. roughly how many rows and columns and does it contain BLOBs or other large values? Best Regards, Hans

Hans The resultset was 596 rows, 16 columns, datetime, varchar and float data types only.. No blobs..

Hi Alex, Do you have a large number of characters in the varchar columns (thousands)? What are your settings for Auto Resize Column Widths in the General/Grid category in Tool Properties? If Auto Resize is enabled, do you see a difference if you disable it? Does this happen every time you run this query, or is it intermittent? If it always happens, can you export the table to a CSV file and email it to us? Best Regards, Hans

Hans No, the values in varchar columns are small.. Auto Resize - ON Consider Col Header - ON It is intermittent...

Hi Alex, Thanks for the info. It does not sound extreme in any way. Do you have the Java JDK (rather that the JRE) installed? If so, please create a thread stack trace the next time you see this and send it to us. WIth the JDK, there are two commands available for this: + jps, to list all Java processes and find the PID for DbVisualizer + jstack , to generate the thread stack trace If you don't have the JDK installed, please do so you can generate this for us. You can download the JDK here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html Pick the JDK matching the Java version you are using for DbVisualizer. Best Regards, Hans

As soon as it happens again, i will do that. Thank you.

Hi Alex, I think I may have stumbled upon a reason for what you see. Does it happen only when you are getting short on memory? If so, it could be that the garbage collection mechanism is working so hard that it does not have time to handle the GUI. You can verify this by adding these flags to Java VM Properties section in Tool Properties under General: -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution If that is what's causing the behavior you see, increasing the heap size should help: http://confluence.dbvis.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3146118 Best Regards, Hans

Hans I added the below flags. +-XX:+PrintGCDetails+ +-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps+ +-XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution+ I do not think that the mem usage was high because I did not get any alert popups. My properties are as follows: *-Xmx950m* -Ddbvis.prefsdir=C:\DEV_APPS_SETTINGS\dbvis -XX:MaxPermSize=192m -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true -include-options ${USERPROFILE}\.dbvis\user.vmoptions -include-options ${HOME}/.dbvis/user.vmoptions

Hans Not sure if its a coincidence, but after adding those flags, the hang started to occur more often 08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 B.?] DefaultEditor39: SybStatement.execute("select * from cemr_CurBudgetStatsGators where Year = 2014 and TrdDateNum = 81") 08:34:56 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 C.?] DefaultEditor39: SybConnection.createStatement() 08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 B.?] DefaultEditor39: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()") 08:34:56 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 N.?] DbConnection='SYBAMR_ETMA_PRD_DS01' Catalog='tss_ds_dev2' Schema='dbo' Table='cemr_CurBudgetStatsGators' Column='%' 08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 E.?] DefaultEditor39: SybDatabaseMetaData.getColumns("tss_ds_dev2", "dbo", "cemr_CurBudgetStatsGators", "%") 08:34:56 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()" 08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 C.?] DefaultEditor39: SybConnection.createStatement() *08:34:56 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 B.?] DefaultEditor39: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()")* *08:35:23 [DEBUG ExecutorRunner-pool-2-thread-3 AbstractFacade.getColumn] executing "select user_name()"* 08:35:23 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 C.?] DefaultEditor39: SybConnection.createStatement() 08:35:23 [DEBUG pool-3-thread-3 B.?] DefaultEditor39: SybStatement.executeQuery("select user_name()")