Start a new topic

Error while copying sql code over dbvis sql commander window

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The only log I get, in debug window: Jun 05, 2014 10:59:28 AM com.jidesoft.editor.CodeEditor a WARNING: Owner failed to convert data Jun 05, 2014 10:59:38 AM com.jidesoft.editor.CodeEditor a WARNING: Owner failed to convert data the sql code consists of multiple insert lines like this: INSERT INTO reflex3_citation_formats (citation_format_id, citable_source_id, cite_code_en, cite_code_fr, code_pattern, parser_code, use_period_start, use_period_end, max_report_volume, report_series) VALUES (1120, 'cpc', NULL, NULL, '(c p c)', 'YearCodePage', NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL); I think the problem is too much content in clipboard (921 inserts), whereas done in two steps of approximately half the lines each works fine. Is there a limit on clipboard copy that I can change or is it simply a bug? (this still works with 2 generations old dbvisualizer) thank you Edited by: John Dop on Jun 5, 2014 5:08 PM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Error while copying sql code over dbvis sql commander window
Hi John, This seems to be a warning provided by the operating system or Java. Which OS and Java version do you use? If you're not using the latest Java 7 version, you may want to upgrade and see if that solves the problem. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.8 Build: #2138 (2014/04/16 22:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_45 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Linux OS Arch: amd64 OS Version: 3.5.0-34-generic the os seems to be up-to-date, the java runtime is not the latest and greatest but I doubt very much the issue sits with it (I run many other programs on it without issues: tomcat, jprofiler, yourkit, etc). I will try a newer java version see how it goes
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

An older copy of dbvis7 with jre 1.6 still works copying to and fro. also, the same clipboard content gets thru very well across pgadmin and gedit (both native apps) and intellij idea running on same jre 7. let me know if i can help troubleshoot this some more from my end. thank you, john

Hi John, We replaced the editor component in DbVisualizer 8.0 so it may interface with the OS a bit differently, explaining why the DbVisualizer 7 version does not have this problem. I'm not sure how IntelliJ puts things on the system clipboard, but the editor component in DbVisualizer does a straightforward "getToolkit().getSystemClipboard().setContents(selection, null)". I tested this with a clean Ubunto distribution: Product: DbVisualizer Free 9.1.8 Build: #2138 (2014/04/16 22:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM Java Version: 1.7.0_60 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Linux OS Arch: i386 OS Version: 3.2.0-29-generic I can copy 1000 of your INSERT statements without problem, so the only thing I can recommend is to upgrade to the lasted Java 7. Best Regards, Hans
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hello Hans, I fully appreciate your assistance with this. let me know if you think of anything else I can try. The only thing I can not change is the os (Linux Mint 14 (nadia) 64-bit Kernel Linux 3.5.0-34-generic, GNOME 3.6.0, running on a Intel® Core? i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8, memory 15.7 GiB, graphics: GeForce GT 530/PCIe/SSE2) This is the dbvis config: Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.8 Build: #2138 (2014/04/16 22:47) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_60 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Linux OS Arch: amd64 OS Version: 3.5.0-34-generic A also attached the screenshot with the pop-up error message although I doubt it is too helpful. thank you, john

Hi John, Does this happen only when you have loaded a file into the editor, as opposed to typing text directly into the editor? If so, does the file have consistent linefeed characters, i.e. all linefeeds are either just LF or CRLF? If the file has a mixture, try converting it so it becomes consistent and see if that helps. Best Regards, Hans

I have tried converting LF to CRLF and also using either UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 charsets. It didn't make a difference. On the other hand, a google search for this error message brings back results with this error message in conjunction with swing/awt operations against various windowing environments (such as X11) take a look at resulting threads https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-7191086 https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-7107490 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23432549/swing-text-components-fail-to-paste-large-text-data-from-clipboard-java-io-ioex So, seeing it looks like a jdk7 issue, Let's see how jdk6 behaves..lo and behold, copy/paste works fully with jdk6!! It seems some bug has been introduced in java7, at least now we know where we stand with this. Coming back to my issue, I guess the solution is to use a 586 os or use java6. the latter is really awfull as the UI behaves badly overall with that jre. there was also a suggestion for using alternate clipboard method on stackoverflow thread. could you please look into that and see if it makes a difference? I know it's not easy to test it but you could create a patch for my instance. Also, I noticed you used an older instance of ubuntu kernel 32bit and also jre7 32bit whereas my os and jre is 64bit, I dunno if that makes a difference. thank you for your help john Edited by: John Dop on Jun 10, 2014 2:36 PM

Hi John, Thanks for doing a bit of research yourself. The bug reports indicates, as you say, that it is due to a bug in Java 7. Unfortunately, they also show that a solution has been pushed to the Java 9 version so it will likely be some time before it is fixed there. The alternate clipboard method on the stackoverflow thread is for Paste, but in your case it fails at Copy so I'm afraid that is not a solution. Java 6 should work fine. What issues do you see when using Java 6? Best Regards, Hans

The java 6 issues are not isolated to dbvisualizer but other software running on it. It is really about the compatibility of swing/awt with the X windowing environment and I couldn't really found a workaround. actually I am moving most of the software to jre7 runtime. The problems are UI related and multiple. The most obvious are the combobox elements not responding to mouse (but are still accessible by keyboard); furthermore, this only happens in some specific situations (I imagine some native toolkit operation that triggers it). hey, thank you for your assistance, if you find a workaround to this make sure to keep us posted. cheers, john