Start a new topic

Error saving workspace layout

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Greetings, Recently, I've been getting some errors that I think are related: 1. When I open DBVis all the database connections are missing 2. A pop-up appears letting me know that "There are application errors in this session ..." For both of these, I believe it's an issue with DBVis attempting to save session data incorrectly or in the incorrect location, but would like some help to figure this out. For reference, I'm using v9.2.7 and the config files are located on a network share. Regarding #1, the dbvis.xml file is over-written at some point (last shut down ? or on opening??) without the saved database connections. This has happened with some frequency and I finally figured out I can restore the file from a previous version (thank goodness for backups). It's inconvenient to have to do this. Regarding #2, this has just recently started - maybe the last month or so is when I really noticed it. We did upgrade from a previous I think in about May of this year (about 5 months ago). So when the error pops up, I click it to open the log and there are NUMEROUS lines saying things like: "2015-08-12 07:13:18.183 WARN 298 [AWT-EventQueue-0 - A.?] Error saving workspace layout" and \.dbvis\Workspace\default\window-0\sql-commander.sql (The system cannot find the path specified) So this isn't a new path, it's the same as was being used for the previous version and I'm not really finding anywhere that I can check or configure this value. The "window-0" folder was empty the first time I noticed this and I restored from a previous version. It doesn't seem to have made any difference and it seems that although I use DBVis daily the files are from about a week ago when I did this, so they're not updating (including the previously mentioned "sql-commander.sql" that DBVis is complaining about. Anyway, thoughts? Thank you Ray Koski

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Error saving workspace layout
Hi Ray, The problem is that your settings files has been destroyed most likely due to an uncontrolled shutdown of Windows. The best option to get your settings back is to look for a backup and rollback all files in xxx\.dbvis. If that is not doable make sure DbVisualizer is not running and then open a File Explorer window. Navigate to xxx\.dbvis\config70 and remove all files. Now re-start DbVisualizer. Note that this will clear all your current settings including your database connection d. The DbVisualizer 9.2.8 version specifically address this issue and includes a mechanism to make sure files are properly saved to disk even if Windows at a later stage is shutdown. Unfortunately it seems your files were destroyed while using an older version than 9.2.8. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, If attempting to restore, do you suggest to restore all the files in xxx\.dbvis\conffig70 to the earliest available version? If attempting to delete, do you suggest removing all files AND folders? Thank you, Ray

Hi Ray, First and most important, upgrade to the latest DbVisualizer version to avoid having this problem in the future. The error log shows exactly which XML files it has a problem with. It seems like you have already restored the dbvis.xml file, but if it complains about not being able to read other XML files at startup, remove or restore those files at least. To resolve the issues with Workspace files that cannot be found, I suggest that you remove everything under xxx\.dbvis\Workspace\default. The only thing you lose is potential layout changes and saved tabs. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I deleted all the Workspace files and opened some files and blank workspaces then closed. As you probably expected, the Workspace files were recreated. I'll work with this a little and see if that will resolve the issue. I'll report back what happens. Thanks as always, Hans Ray
[Attachment has been removed.]

Greetings again, So I upgraded to v9.2.9 but DBViz continues to have issues over the network. I wonder if they're related? I've gotten "application error" message after the upgrade (at startup of DBViz) and issues with writing to log files. Occasionally, DBViz forgets my license info - this has happened a couple of times. I noticed it today because the list of schemas in the particular Oracle database is no longer filtered and the filter button is missing. ... see the attached images. Could this be related to VPN connectivity? Thank you, Ray

Hi Ray, I suggest you use Help->Contact Support in DbVisualizer as it will send details about your environment. This is useful for us when trying to identify the problem. Refer to the forum post link in the Support Description input area. Regards Roger