Start a new topic

Editing resultset of single table query with comment not possible

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When using DbVisualizer 8.0.12, it was possible to edit the resultset of a query on a single table (provided the correct schema is selected), regardless if the SQL is preceded by a comment or not. This worked even if the query contains a subselect on multiple tables. This function works in DbVisualizer Pro 9.2.10 only if I select the SQL with the mouse (without the comment) and press the green execute arrow. Editing the resultset after pressing CTRL and . (without selecting) does not work. There is also another side effect of this behavior: when setting the permission of "Other" to "Ask", I have to confirm all Selects with preceding comments, because those are recognized as "Other". I would greatly appreciate it if you could restore the old behavior. Regards, Andreas Product: DbVisualizer Pro 9.2.10 [Build #2477] OS: Windows 7 OS Version: 6.1 OS Arch: amd64 Java Version: 1.7.0_80 Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Editing resultset of single table query with comment not possible
Andreas, Can you please post the content in the editor when editing is not possible? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hello Roger, the contents of the SQL editor looks like in the attached image. I did not succeed to post it as plain text, because the hypens of the comment always get transformed to bullets. The example is with a subselect on only one table, but as I wrote, in 8.0.12 it worked also when several tables where queried in the subselect. When placing the cursor in line 2, 3 or 4 and pressing Execute current or CTRL + ., the effects as described in my original post occur. Only when selecting lines 2, 3 and 4 and pressing the green execute arrow, I can then edit the resultset. This also works when deleting the comment completely. Regards, Andreas

Hi Andreas, In 8.0.12 any comments were always removed by DbVisualizer when the SQL was passed to the database for execution. In 9.0 this was changed with the new Strip Comments when Executing toggle in the SQL Commander menu. It is not enabled by default. Make sure it is selected and editing of result sets should work fine even if the script contains comments. We do have an open ticket for supporting editing even if strip comments is turned off. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, thanks for the clarification. Editing now works, and the confirmation message is not shown. Regards, Andreas

Andreas, DbVisualizer 9.2.13 has just been released with a fix so result set editing should be possible even if the SQL producing it is preceded by comment. Easiest is that you open Help->Check for Update in DbVisualizer to perform the upgrade. An alternative is that you download from our web site: http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger