Start a new topic

Connecting to Amazon Redshift

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

This is my first time using this tool and I am still fairly new to databases in general so please bear with me if I am missing something obvious. I am trying to connect to an Amazon Redshift database that was setup for me with a schema loaded. I have successfully connected to this database using the PGAdmin tool, so I know that the database is setup correctly. When I try to connect via DbVis I get the following message: +An error occurred while establishing the connection:+ +The selected Driver cannot handle the specified Database URL.+ +The most common reason for this error is that the database URL+ +contains a syntax error preventing the driver from accepting it.+ +The error also occurs when trying to connect to a database+ +with the wrong driver. Correct this and try again+. I have tried with both the postgreSQL driver that comes preloaded, and the 4.0 and 4.1 drivers that can be found here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/mgmt/configure-jdbc-connection.html#download-jdbc-driver but all yield the same result. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this that has connected DbVis to Redshift before?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Connecting to Amazon Redshift
Hi Mike, As the error message says, this error typically means that there is a syntax error in the JDBC URL. What does your JDBC URL look like? Also, I recommend that you use the Redshift driver instead of the PostgreSQL driver, and that you set the Database Type for the connection to Generic. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hey Hans, thanks for the reply. My Connection URL is the following but with the name changed mikesredshiftserver.chllild5adbz.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:5432 Is there a specific redshift driver that is made to work with DbVis? I used the one here: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/redshift/latest/mgmt/configure-jdbc-connection.html#download-jdbc-driver both the 4.0 and 4.1 but they all yielded the same result. I did notice that when I load the redshift driver it doesn't give me a second input for the port like the postgres one did so I added it to the end of the URL, is that right?

Hi Mike, The Redshift driver you have downloaded is the one I meant. Since it is a driver that is not known to DbVisualizer (not preconfigured, as opposed to the PostgreSQL driver) you must enter the complete URL in the Database URL field. The syntax you have used is not correct. My guess is that this should work, based on what you told us: jdbc:redshift://mikesredshiftserver.chllild5adbz.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:5432/mydb where "mydb" is the database name. But as I recall, one of the AWS configuration pages shows the complete, correct JDBC URL so that you can just copy it into DbVisualizer. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hans, thank you that was exactly what I was missing!

Hi Mike, Great, glad I could help. Best Regards, Hans