Start a new topic

DbVisualizer 5.1.1.5 is now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, DbVisualizer 5.1.1.5 is now available for download in the early access section: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap In addition to the change log for this EA has the following features been fixed. (They were poorly integrated in the previous EA version): - Table data editing with the inline and form editors - Creation of monitors in the Data tab - "Browse row in form" didn't work Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Re: DbVisualizer 5.1.1.5 is now available
>> 2) on macosx the columns in the result grid do not >> size like it should (it does on xp). >> try with (select >> dbms_metadata.get_ddl('TABLE','SQLPLUS_PRODUCT_PROFILE >> ','SYSTEM') from dual) >> On macosx this gives a short column that is hard to >> resize. >I get one column which is propery resized. Please post a screenshot. On XP I also get one column but one that is much wider/usable. On macosx I got what you see in the image. I also tried ALLOY. R.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ronald, You probably need to open Tool Properties and set another value for "Max Column Separator Width". Set it to -1. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

yep, that did the trick :-D
It was 300 pixels...

Thanks Roger,
R.

Hello Roger,

yes, if I insert the new row the way you described, it works.

There is another problem: during the insertion of the new row, the button "Revert all edits made..." (second from right) doesn't do anything. When deleting rows, it properly reverts the changes.

Regards,

Andreas

Andreas, The "revert edit" problem will be fixed in the next EA. Thanks! Regards Roger

Is it really so, that in 5.1.1.5 in the Data tab the where filter has been removed and now has to be opened as modal dialog?

This change would render 5.1.1.5 basically unusable for me. It is essential to have the where clause and the result set in one view.

I am almost sure I am missing something.

For now I switched back to 5.1.1.4.

Regards,
Georg

Georg, Yes it is now a modal dialog and it cannot be changed. We'll look into making it non modal but it will still be a separate window. Regards Roger

How about showing the active filter text between the buttons and the grid? Or in the status bar of the grid (there it would have to be abbreviated, so i would prefer the first proposal)? I like the fact, that the filter keeps active for a table while switching between different tables (and even over program restarts! Nice :-) ) and that a history of filter statements is maintained, but i'm missing the visibility of the active filter statement too (but not this much: TOAD has nearly the same mechanism for filtering, but without the history...) Bye, Peter

Roger, making the dialog non-modal would surely help a lot. Imagine the incessant dialog popping up and down until all those missing commas or wrong single quotes have been fixed. Of course the additional features are nice, but I am uncertain as to why this has to be connected to a (at least for me) fundamental user interface change. Having both the Data tab and the SQL Editor has always been a strength of DbVisualizer, the first one being used for the quick lookup and the second one for serious query development. With 5.1.1.5 the "quick lookup" is much less quick and smooth. And there is already some form of filter history available (right mouse button click), although not persistent across sessions. Until now no continuous dialog opening and closing during the standard workflow of filtering and querying existed in DbVisualizer. Every now and then I have to open the Bookmark window, but that's all. How about using a docking framework? (Actually I have been moving around the filter dialog desperately for some time hoping that the GUI would give me a hint where I can place it...). I will have a second look at 5.1.1.5, but I am still a bit shocked. Regards, Georg

Georg, The previous integrated filter solution had several problems. In combination with various enhancement requests it was quite difficult to solve it and still keep the GUI intuitive and not too cluttered. Another important issue was the fact that both the quick filter and the where filter took a lot of space from the data grid (a lot of people complained about this). As always it is difficult changing existing features since some prefer how it use to work while other applaud the change. The only option (more or less) a tool vendor have is to make sure all camps are satisfied by making it configurable. You say: "there is some form of filter history (right mouse button click), although not persistent across sessions". All filters are saved between sessions and even reloaded whenever you hit that table again (if the filter was previously active). Doesn't this work for you? We've looked into using a docking framework and split most of the GUI into separate dockable windows. That would certainly improve but this kind of change would however result in some users loving it while others will enter shock mode... Regards Roger

Roger, thanks for outlining the motivation for the change. But: it is already very easy to hide the visibility of the quick and where filter using the Data tab toolbar buttons. My preferred solution would be to continue with the existing approach, just placing the sort section below the other sections and add a new toggle to show/hide it, and may be a button for hiding all three sections (plus a keyboard shortcut) with one UI gesture. On my UXGA screen the space for the data grid would not be a problem. As to the filter history: I was referring to pre-5.1.1.5 functionality. I have not tested the new features in 5.1.1.5 yet (thanks for all the hard work!). I know this is OT with respect to this thread, but are there any plans to make the editor tell the user where the errors occurred in an SQL statement (I thought it might not be possible because of limitations in the (Oracle in my case) JDBC implementation, but I had a look at Oracle's SQL Developer and it does this even when using the type 4 driver) ? Nobody would be shocked about this :-) Regards, Georg

I found that sql commander now only locks the current connection when there is a long running sql active. That is good.With a few connections open and in one running a very longrunning qry I accidentally selected such an active connection in sql commander which caused dbvis to lock the gui completely. Can that be changed ? Maybe that - locked - connection can be made unselectable in the gui ?

thanks,Ronald.

I could be wrong but did we have an image export option before 5.1.1.5 ? Now I miss it ... R.

Hi Ronald, You need to double click the red puzzle icon in the grid to open the cell editor. Another way is to double click the thumbnail icon in the form editor to open the cell editor. Then in the cell editor you can export and print the image. Regards Roger

Ronald, The way the SQL Commander works now is actually a bug :-) The absence of the Stop button resulted in that several SQL editors can be launched concurrently. Since multi executions is not properly supported there may be situations when errors occur. The ability to run several SQL scripts at the same time is the last major enhancement for the next official version so expect to see this supported soon. Regards Roger