Start a new topic

Early Access: DbVisualizer 6.5.10.7 is now available

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, We're excited to finally release an early access version of the upcoming feature version for DbVisualizer. This first EA version is named 6.5.10.7 and it includes everything up to the official 6.5.10 version. Just install the EA, try it out and let us know what you think. http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/eap Best Regards Roger

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Early Access: DbVisualizer 6.5.10.7 is now available // Export Table
I have tested keybindings in the new 6.5.10.7 EA version and it also suffers from the same keybinding bug. I have tested and found the following: (1) I have only tested on MacOSX 10.6.2, Intel x86_64, Java 1.6.0_17 (2) Only seems to be a problem for editor command "Extend Selection To End Of Line" (3) If I set a single binding of either Cmd+Shift+Right arrow (Mac default) or Shift+End then the binding works okay in either case (4) When I try and set a second binding so there are two then neither binding works in the editor So setting one binding alone is fine, but having two bindings set causes neither to work. I copied the MacOSX set for my own custom set. Oh and another minor issue is that the button text for the OK button in the Tool Properties dialog is "Ok" but it should be "OK" with an uppercase K since OK is an abbreviation. Apple use "OK" and indeed the Key Strokes dialog has an okay button with text "OK" so you are not internally consistent here. I would consider "Ok" as a bug.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Timothy, I have now tried reproducing this with both 6.5.11 and the 6.5.10.7 EA without success i.e. it works perfect for me. I even added a third key binding and that + the other two works as expected Attached you find screenshots of my key bindings in Tool Properties. Are you assigning the second key binding as a "Second Key Stroke" for the existing key binding? If that is the case, then remove the second key stroke and repeat my bindings. Regards Roger

Tim, I forgot to say that we will fix the "Ok" typo. Thanks! Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, Yes I am adding a second key binding to the existing binding. I tried adding the new binding as a new binding by clicking the New Binding button and adding the keystroke instead of the Edit Binding button and this works correctly. So, err, what is the point of the second binding field in the bindings? Is it for combination keystrokes like used for generating some special symbols like say Alt+A A or some such? I found it rather confusing sorry. Perhaps i should have read the documentation!

Tim, Great it is sorted out. Yes the second key stroke is for multiple strokes such as Alt+A A. Secondary key strokes are rarely used and we plan to remove that option since not all features supports it. Best Regards Roger

Roger, I can confirm that the major freezing issue is not completely fixed in the EA version on MacOSX. I opened a connection to an oracle DB, opened the schema and clicked on a table to show the data. I came back to it ca 15 mins later and clicked on a different table, thereby causing DBV to call the database to get data to display. The app then freezes. The busy cursor appears and the GUI is unresponsive except for the menubar and the Stop Execution button in the Object view. The MacOSX force quit dialog shows DBV in red as 'not responding'. I clicked the Stop button. DBV remained frozen for a minute or so, maybe a bit longer. But eventually a message was shown saying the connection had been lost and containing a hyperlink "connect" to re-establish the connection. I clicked the link and it did recreate the connection and was then usable again. So this seems partially fixed! The only remaining issue is the time that the GUI is frozen for after I click the Stop button; it is too long. Having to wait for several minutes to proceed is no good for productive use if this happens frequently as in my case (for other readers I have a DB connection that seems to go stale after some minutes of inactivity).

Hi Timothy, Thanks for testing this. The behavior you describe is the intended (not perfect but the best that can be done). The Execution Timeout Value (the time you need to wait after clicking Stop in this case) is set to 60 seconds by default, because when we tried a similar approach earlier it turned out that a lower value caused problems for too many users. You can change it in Tool Properties, in the Database Connection category. Best Regards, Hans