Start a new topic

Current object view

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I think the new approach to tabs and windows is a step in the right direction. And it is great that the edit windows reappear when you restart dbvis! It does, however, take a bit longer when you want to first locate the information you are interested in. You may have to open and close a few tabs before finding what you are really after. One way to deal with this would be to have a "Currently selected object window". When you click on a node this window would show the current object. Then I could double click or select open if I want to keep the window easily accessible. Maybe there are other better solutions than this that you can come up with - but I thought I would mention it anyway! Regards Bengt

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Re: Current object view
Frankly speaking I never use this button and I can tell why. If I use only mouse, without keys, I should do next steps for opening code of a function/procedure in New Tab with this button: 1. Move mouse to the proper function/procedure in the object tree. 2. Click on it with left button. 3. Move mouse to the button on the databases tab toolbar. 4. Click on it.... Even you change this button to the "Open in New Tab", this way is toooooo long because of step 3. That's why now I do this: 1. Move mouse to the proper function/procedure in the object tree. 2. Click on it with left button. 3. Click on it with right button. 4. Select the menu item Open Object, wait until the submenu open (or click on it with left mouse button), 5. Select 'Open In New Tab' which is the second in the submenu. 6. Click on it with left button. See screenshort 1. The second path is much faster, because I don't need move mouse to the databases tab toolbar. That's why I propose the next path: 1. Move mouse to the proper function/procedure in the object tree. 2. Click on it with left button. 3. Click on it with right button (the context menu is shown). 4. Select in the context menu the first item 'Open In New Tab' (need make it the first) 5. Click on it with left button. This way is rather faster than the second and greatly faster than the first, with the button in the toolbar. The analog is Internet Browser, see screenshort 2. Edited by: Evg on Nov 23, 2012 9:49 AM
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, It seems that personal preferences play a big deal here. Some think that minimizing number of clicks is a great improvement while shortening mouse movement is great for others (independent of clicks). We will try consolidate all comments and come up with something that attracts the majority of users. I am sure you are aware of the associated key bindings but take the opportunity to mention them as they may improve working even further. - Open in Tab (Ctrl+L) - Open in New Tab (Ctrl+Alt+L) Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The new behavior (while different than 8.x) is better than earlier 9.x versions (tab explosion during browse is under control). Thanks

Hi Roger, I think this is too personal a choice to impose it upon users without some form of customisation available. I suggest that the preferences be altered so that users can choose what actions are performed by double-clicking an object and by double-clicking an object with a modifier key (I would suggest Alt) pressed. The Appearance>Tabs section seems to be a logical place for this. This way, the defaults could remain as they are in 90.1866, which is a sensible compromise for existing users, however those who wish to use extra tabs can choose to do so. Neither the dropdown nor the shortcuts address this issue as both require the user to hunt around either in the user interface or the keyboard to perform what should be a simple task. A modifier key would allow users the ability to quickly perform this task and extra preferences would enable users to specify exactly which behaviour they prefer. Regards, Vince

Vince, I will register a ticket for supporting modifier+double-click. Regards Roger

Hi, The 9.0.3 version has just been released with support to configure what Open action to run for Double-Click and Alt+Double-Click of database objects. http://www.dbvis.com/download/ Regards Roger