Start a new topic

Java 7 on Mac OS X with v8.0.10

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Folks, One of the new features of dbvis v8.0.10 is support for Java 7 on Mac OS X. However, I can't find any documentation on how to change to target JRE to 1.7 from 1.6. I tried editing the plist by setting the target JRE to "1.7" or "1.7+", but neither one worked. Has anyone been able to do this, and if so, can you tell me how you did it? Thanks, Andrew

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Java 7 on Mac OS X with v8.0.10
Hi Andrew, I have found a work-around for this. Replace the last line in the dbvsgui.sh file with this line (all on one line): $JAVA_EXEC -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=192M -cp $CP -Ddbvis.home=$DBVIS_HOME -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=false com.onseven.dbvis.DbVisualizerGUI "$@" In other words, add the option that disables the Apple Screen Menu Bar. For some reason, keyboard shortcuts for actions that are included in a menu cause the action to be invoked twice when it is enabled. We will continue to look for a solution to this. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yes, I am using Java 7 (launching it through the shell script command-line because of the original problem that I brought up earlier in this thread).

Hi Andrew, Thanks for reporting this. I have reproduced the behavior you describe with Java 7 on Mac OS Mountain Lion. We will look into what's causing this. Best Regards, Hans

Andrew, What Java version you are using? I assume Java 7 based on this thread subject but need to double check. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I found a bug in the v8.0.11 release (on Mac only, it seems), where when you paste information into the SQL Commander using the keyboard shortcut, it double-pastes the content into the editor. So every time I paste something, I am having to do an "undo" right afterwards to undo the 2nd paste so that the duplicate content gets removed.

Joe, The problem is in the JVM for OS X. Regards Roger

Roger, Bummer - but thanks for the reply. I don't have a pressing need to use Java 7 with DV, so it's not a huge deal at the moment. Do you think the issue is with DV, or Oracle's Java 7 JVM for Mac? Keep up the good work - I love DV. Cheers, j

Joe, The reason for the silence is that we've found a couple of problems in Java 7 for Mac that stops us from officially supporting it. Here is one: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7181956 As the workaround recommend, make sure you use another look and feel (specify this in Tools->Tool Properties in DbVisualizer) than the Mac look and feel. We verify the currently known problems with every new release of Java 7 and hopefully it will be stable enough in a near version. Regards Roger

Is there an update on this? I got the command like to work - it seems: Product: DbVisualizer Personal 8.0.10 Build: #1766 (2012/07/10 21:25) Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM Java Version: 1.7.0_07 Java Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS Name: Mac OS X OS Arch: x86_64 OS Version: 10.8.1 But having to use the command line to make it work sort of gets old pretty fast. Is there a better solution? The previous post in this thread is several months old, so I thought something would have happened by now. THanks..

Robin and all, It appears we were to quick putting Java 7 and Mac OS X support in the release notes for 8.0.10. It simply doesn't work as it is now and that release notes entry has been removed from the 8.0.10 list. We have on the todo list to look into an alternative solution and it seem to result in yet another installer for OS X which is OpenJDK specific. Sorry... Regards Roger

Hi, I've noticed the same behaviour on my Mac and after some research I've found the following statement: {noformat}"Oracle Java 7 .jdk only supports CommandLine only tasks"{noformat}And the output of 'java_home -t BundledApp' seems to confirm this: pluto:bin$ java -version java version "1.7.0_05" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b06) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode) pluto:bin$ /usr/libexec/java_home /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.7.0.jdk/Contents/Home pluto:bin$ /usr/libexec/java_home -t BundledApp /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home So it seems that this is not specific to DBVisualizer but a restriction of Oracle's implementation! (see https://wikis.oracle.com/display/OpenJDK/Mac+OS+X+Port+Project+Status) regards, Robin.

Andrew, There is an issue with the Mac OS X installer that we are looking into. The workaround is that you open a Terminal and goto the following directory: DbVisualizer-8.0.10.app/Contents/Resources/app/ Make sure Java 1.7 is in the path. Test by running this in the terminal: java -version Result: java version "1.7.0_05" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode) Now launch DbVisualizer: ./dbvisgui.sh Regards Roger

Hans, I clicked on the link to the "Mac OS X FAQ" from the page that you mentioned, but those instructions didn't help, maybe because they're just out of date. (It shows instructions for how to configure dbvisualizer for JVM v1.4.) Andrew

Paul, We'll check into this and get back as soon as possible. Regards Roger

HI I have tried both options manual editing of the plist file and using the editor DBVis still does not recognise version 7