If you get an error similar to the following it is most likely because the JDBC driver bundled with DbVisualizer is not compatible with Oracle 8i.
An error occurred while establishing the connection: Long Message: 7 Details: Type: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException Stack Trace: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 7 at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.connect(T4CConnection.java:1611) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:496) at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.connect(PhysicalConnection.java:662) at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32) ...
To solve this you need to create a new driver entry and load a compatible JDBC driver jar file in DbVisualizer.
- Open Tools->Driver Manager
- In the list of drivers, select Oracle Thin
- Clone it using Driver->Duplicate Driver
- In the right pane and the User Specified tab, remove all existing jar files
- Click the Open File button next to the list and locate, and select the compatible driver jar file (typically named classes12.jar for Oracle 8i)
- Let the driver manager identify the driver class and then close the driver manager window
- Open the details for your Oracle 8i connection and change the Driver (JDBC) to the newly created driver
- Now Connect using the new driver