DbVisualizer can connect to an arbitrary REST data source using the Progress DataDirect’s Autonomous REST Connector for JDBC. The connector offers a read-only connection to APIs that have JSON responses.
- Download the driver and install it into the PREFSDIR/jdbc directory
(PREFSDIR is the
.dbvisdirectory normally located in your home directory)
- Start DbVisualizer
- Open Tools->Driver manager
- Open Driver->Create Driver and fill out the details:
Name: (choose a name for the driver)
- Open Database->Create Database Connection:
Choose an alias, select the driver you just created and enter the URL for the REST API on the following format:
jdbc:datadirect:autorest:sample=(choose the URL)
- Press Connect to connect to the REST API
- In the Databases Tab, you should find your REST data under AUTOREST/TABLE (exact name will vary, reflecting the URL you used)
Several sites offer free REST API samples for experimental purposes. These are some of them:
There are also several sites offering a free REST API to real data, where GitHub is just one example.