Start a new topic

Track SQL Editor connection in connection tree

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I would like to be able to set the behavior of DBVisualizer's connection tree to always show the selected database of the current SQL Editor. When changing editors, the selected database would change, and more importantly, the editor's connection would change if I clicked on a different database in the connection tree. The sticky bit should still operate as intended, so if I had the sticky bit set, the editor's connection would not change with the selection in my connection tree. If I changed to an editor that had sticky bit selected, it would still initially change the selected connection in the tree to the left. This behavior seems more in tune with what every other tree I have seen in an application does - it shows the current selection (and even in DBVisualizer, the object view operates in this manner). In our shop, we have had a few mistakes that caused a significant amount of work due to a statement made on an inappropriate connection (the color bars for prod/test/dev databases help a lot, but it still happens) and getting a visual shift of the tree when moving to a different editor would help even more.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Track SQL Editor connection in connection tree
Jarad, We have on the future list to revise the way SQL editors are created and the way the database connection for an editor is controlled i.e. an editor should be created for a specific Database Connection and after that it cannot be changed. (The exact details for this has not been defined yet). Note also that the SQL Commander doesn't have any relationship with what object is currently selected in the objects tree. I will register your request for consideration while we revise the SQL Commander architecture. Thanks! Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Track SQL Editor connection in connection tree
I appreciate you submitting the request. I imagine adding a feature like this could be costly at this point, but it would definitely be worth an upgrade. Thanks!