Start a new topic

enable use of bind variables

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It would be very nice if dbVis checked for existense of bind variables in the sql and start a dialog if there are missing in order to define them. Now I have to replace them by literals and doing so change the sql and possibly the plan. Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: enable use of bind variables
Ronald, DbVisualizer variables such as: [b]select id,name,address where name = $$Name$$[/b] is transformed by DbVisualizer into the literal for Name (after user have entered a value in the substitution dialog). We could quite easily change this in DbVisualizer Personal by adding a choice in the substition dialog. The choice could then be used to toggle between substitution to literals or true bind variables. Is this what you are looking for? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yes. The reason is quite simple, we often grab sql from the sga that contain bind variables (select * from v$session where name = :b1). More likely than not these grabbed sql's are a bit more complex than the example I gave and most of the times those sql's are also not the best performing ones. Having real bind variables enables quicker use of explain plan and quicker debugging. It also would be very nice to have them buffered so they can be used for multiple sql's without having to enter the same values over and over again. Thanks, Ronald.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'll second this request.

Ron, In the next feature version planned for Q3 bind variables (parameter markers) in the question mark ("?") format will be supported for all databases. Regards Roger

Roger, Can you make this configurable? It would be helpful if binds could be defined as "?" or begins with ":" for example. Nathan

Nathan, Unfortunately only ? will be supported initially. Regards Roger