Start a new topic

Database Structure Comparison

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Would be useful for development. Regards Jonathan

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Database Structure Comparison
Jonathan, Database diff is on the list for future additions. I cannot say in what version or when this will be implemented at the moment. Thanks! Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Any update on when the comparison feature might be available? This would be a really beneficial feature to have.

Hi Emmanuel, Unfortunately we have no news to share regarding a comparison feature. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I second this :) I've previously used Aquafold to do this, it supports not only database structure compare but also data level compare-- quite handy when compare things like 'static' lookup tables between UAT/QA and production. It also has a very nice 'export results' to HTML BUT Aquafold is very expensive, and honestly DbVis has several critical use features (for me) that Aquafold can't touch. Not recommending Aquafold to anyone, instead just mentioning their compare functionality to help define what DbVis could do in the future.... -J

Hi Jason, I've added your suggestion to look at what Aquafold is doing in this area as an example of what you would like to see to our feature request tracking system. As Roger stated earlier, this is already on our list for a future release but not scheduled for a specific version. Best Regards, Hans

The new(ish) data compare has been very handy... can we push now for a schema compare? Aquafold has continued to make leaps in this area (but is also still expensive). As a short term (now many years) gap filler I've ended up buying a license to DB Solo as they provide compare functionality-- it would be nice if I could just use my favorite tool ;)

Hi Jason, This is still on our list, but not scheduled yet. To do this right is a major effort, and we have a lot of other features on our list that more customers have asked for. As you mentioned, the existing Compare feature is a step in this direction. Since you can use it to compare any grid or text tab, you can for instance open the Tables grid for two databases/schemas and see if they differ with regards to the tables they contain. You can also open the DDL tab for the same table in two databases/schemas and compare the DDL. See some more here: http://confluence.dbvis.com/display/UG91/Comparing+Schemas I know this is time consuming and not really what you're after, but it may be enough for certain scenarios. Best Regards, Hans