Start a new topic

Variables in Connection settings

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

A nice feature, certainly not a necessity, would be to have multiple options in the connection setting variables that then populate a drop down on the connection form. I currently use, for example, $$SID||Development$$ to put up a prompt for the SID. However, we have more than one development DB (and others), and to be able to put $$SID||Development||Development2||Development3$$ to create a drop down of 3 choices (with the first one in the list selected as the default) would be useful. It would also need to be possible to type an SID (or whatever) that isn't in the list. I know I can create more than one entry in the object tree, one for each connection, but this would be easier to manage. Also, if a connection variable has been used then could input focus be put onto the first empty input box? For example, if I used $$SID||Development$$, the password prompt would be the first empty input; my most likely input would be in this box (because my default SID is less likely to be changed). Only minor niggles! Steve

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Re: Variables in Connection settings
Steve, Good ideas! We'll fix them both in the next 5.0 beta. The second request with a list of choices will be setup using this syntax: [b]$$SID||||||choices=[Development,Development2,Development3] $$[/b] If you want a default value then set the value as: [b]$$SID||Development2||||choices=[Development,Development2,Development3] $$[/b] Note: don't forget an ending blank after the closing bracket e.g "] ". See attached image for an example. Regards Roger

I forgot to mention that the new "choices=" option will also work in parameterized SQL statements in the SQL Commander. Roger

Steve, This is now included in the latest 5.0 beta: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap/index.html Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Wow - fast turnaround! I'll certainly give it a go tomorrow. Thanks, Steve
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger - works perfectly. Now, how about that drag and drop of table names to the SQL Commander... ;))

Steve, The beauty of being responsive and acting fast... ;-) We'll check the drag & drop thing. Regards Roger

Steve, Check the latest 4.908 build and the drag & drop support. Regards Roger

Roger - drag and drop works well... ...The only thing about dragging to SQL Commander is that it (Commander) does not get focus after dropping. This makes it harder to drag, drop then type. Minor quibble, probably not worth bothering about (it's just working with clients like mine, you get used to anticipating this kind of query!). Steve