Start a new topic

integrated ssh tunneling ?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

How about integration of ssh tunneling in dbvis ? It would enable connections acros firewalls and make a big difference with other tools that don't have this capability. Ronald

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: integrated ssh tunneling ?
Ronald, Sounds like a resonable request. I will add it to the list and we'll investigate whether a general solution is doable. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi all, Up to now, we (at my company) usually do it like this: Establish ssh-connection with port-forwarding and then have the database-tool connect to the local port. I'd rather take the stance that a DB-Tool shouldn't try to implement features which are too far away from it´s purpose (like adding a ssh-client to DBVisualizer ;) ) Best regards, Tom

Thomas, I agree! If SSH support can be added transparently for all sorts of connections with a minimum setup then I think the idea is great. However, if it can't then I doubt adding it. We need to investigate before saying yes or no. (We use SSH in the very same way as you Thomas and it works perfect. A shortcut on the desktop to activate the tunnel which then prompts for a password, then connect to the local port in DbVisualizer). Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, this feature would be great for us. We rely on DBVis heavily and often have to connect to our client DBs in exactly this way. Often, the passwords are not easy to remember and so we have to look them up in our wiki. This is tedious and can be even more so when working over a wireless vpn connection where time is of the essence. Therefore an option in he DB connection panel to connect via ssh tunneling would be awesome especially if the password could be configurable. Looking at this example, it doesn't seem that difficult either: http://www.beanizer.org/site/index.php/en/Articles/Java-ssh-tunneling-with-jsch.html The option to add keyfiles would be great too. I think this feature would make DBVis even more indispensible to our team's productivity. Frank.

Frank, I'll add your vote for a SSH tunneling feature. Thanks! Regards Roger

I love this client (own version 6.5), however due to convenience and the high amount of servers, clustering, and juggling VM's, i only use it for local db's and a MS SQL installation I'm phasing out. I'm on a campus network so everything is locked up requiring ssh tunneling. Navicat provides seamless ssh tunneling, but doesn't have the nifty interface and export abilities, but I find myself using it all day, while occasionally I must drag out a OS X terminal and try to remember how to create a local ssh tunnel for DBvis' handicap. I'd rate myself a moderate *nix nerd (actually a lazy one who prefers Apples), so I can cope without it, but it's such an annoying handicap that I'm forced into the bosom of a competitor.

Michael, Thanks for your post. We have adding SSH support at the upper half on the todo list. Hopefully it will go into the next feature version planned for Q1 2011. Best Regards Roger

Please, add another vote for this feature. My work uses exclusively MySQL, and with 30+ different DB servers it becomes more and more difficult to promote dbvis when numerous free tools provide integrated ssh tunneling.

Andrew, I will add your vote for SSH support. Best Regards Roger

we use dbvis 7.1.2 and i thought that this is already implemented. Here another vote for that! We also use multiple mySQL connections and other native mysql tools already support ssh tunneling. at the moment i have to use to start up the ssh tunnel every day manually, only to have access via dbvisualizer, which is my fav.tool!!:-) cheers Nesmoon Edited by: nesmoon on 24.08.2010 13:10

I vote for this feature as well. I have about five jump servers in my company, I wrote a script that makes it easier to manage. We are mostly, sybase, and mysql shop. I currently use something like this: ----- #/bin/bash ssh -L4406:p-server-1:3306 jumper@ruby-server.company.com ssh -L4406:p-server-2:3306 jumper@jade-server.company.com ssh -L4406:p-server-3:2638 jumper@sapphire-server.company.com ssh -L4406:p-server-4:2638 jumper@diamond-server.company.com ----- Also refer to this java library: http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/ There was a thread that noted it was possibly in the latest version, I haven't upgraded yet.

Levi, Your vote is added. SSH support is still on the todo list so don't expect it in the latest version. Best Regards Roger

My, what a brilliant idea it would be to have SSH tunnelling in-built. I would never have thought of requesting it, yet it would make my life so much easier! +1 I'll vote for that!

+1 Thanks