Start a new topic

Honour quotes during data import

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I work a lot with numeric codes that need to be treated as strings (ie. leading or trailing zeroes are significant). When I export these types of columns I specify that text fields are quoted so that it's obvious that these types of columns are strings, not numbers. When I choose to import them using DbVisualizer, though, the "Import CSV" function still interprets them as numbers by default. I have to remember to change the field type in the "Data" grid to ensure that they get imported properly. Could the import function be changed to treat any input column surrounded by the character indicated in the "Text Quoted Between:" option as a String field, regardless of what the data looks like? Thanks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Honour quotes during data import
Hi Steve, Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into adding an option for the behavior you describe. Best Regards, Hans

Steve, This is now fixed in the just released 9.1.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

That's great news! I was doing an import just recently and wishing I had this feature.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I had a chance to test this today. Works great! Definitely a time saver. Thanks for making the change.

Hi Steve, Glad you like it. Best Regards, Hans