Start a new topic

possible to find line number for error?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm working with an anonymous pl/sql block. When the block has errors, it says what the error is, but not the line(s) that the error occurs on. Is it possible to have the line number reported alongside the error? It would save me some time in figuring out where the error is if the line number was reported. Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: possible to find line number for error?
Hi Jimmy, The error message comes straight from the database, and unfortunately, most databases do not include a line number. Which database do you use? If it is one of the database with "extended support", you may want to try out the new procedure editor in the 6.1.1.2 EA release: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap/ For databases that report the line number, clicking on an error message highlights the corresponding line in the procedure editor. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, I am running oracle 9. Where can I find which databases have extended support? Thanks. Jimmy

Jimmy, Please check the following web page: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/features/features.jsp?feature=9 Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I would like to expand on Jimmy's question. In the Log window where the errors are reported, there is an icon that precedes the error description (it looks like a yellow piece of paper). I have clicked on that icon and what seems to happen is it hides or deletes much of my source code, presumably attempting to show me where the error is located. I have lost much code this way and had to rewrite it because I can't figure out how to get the code to re-appear in the SQL Commander window Any suggestions?

Hi Ray, I'm looking into this now. We will change it so that when you click on the icon, the corresponding statement will be selected in the editor without removing any of the surrounding statements. Best Regards, Hans

Ok, thanks very much.