Start a new topic

Install4j: Java(Tm) VM could not be started

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Hi All, I have a fresh install of a controlled XP environment at my workplace and tried to install DB Visualiser 4.3.6 (dbvis_windows_jre_4_3_6.exe) with the JVM included (since I haven't installed a separate JVM yet). After a while the error I got was as below. The Java(TM) VM could not be started. Please restart the installation. You may use the parameter "/manual" to download or manually select a different VM. Log ... i4j_nlog_2 I left the message displayed on screen long enough to come to this forum.. After a wait another error came up. An error occurred: java.lang.StackOverflowError. Log ... install4jError17734log I have attached both logs to this message. Yesterday I had the same problem (again with a fresh image). I tried installing JDK 1.4.1.07, 1.4.2.11.. I tried the /manual option.. I tried launching the installer from a batch file that set PATH to include only the JDK I wanted. None of these things work. The only conclusion I have right now is that maybe there is a security setting that prevents DBVisualiser from launching the JVM. I can't see anything in the logs to support the case either way. Any advice would be most appreciated - DB Visualiser is such a wonderful tool and I very much want it on miss it now! Rob :)

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Install4j: Java(Tm) VM could not be started
Robert, Thanks for your detailed report! I just got a reply from the vendor for the installation software and it appears this specific problem is solved in their latest version. We will publish a new beta of the upcoming 5.0 version later tonight and it will be built using the newest version of the installation software. I recommend that you download and try it out. The version will be called 4.911 and is available from this page (during the evening): http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap/index.html Regards Roger

Robert, Have you had a chance trying what I previously suggested? If yes, what result did you get? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, I am most impressed - thank you for your efforts. :) The new version installed flawlessly and I am as happy as a DBA in.. whatever it is that makes DBAs very happy. :p Rob :)

Rob, Great! Thanks for letting me know. Regards Roger