Start a new topic

DB2 Database Connection Dropping every 20-30mins or so ?

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

My database connection drops every 20-30 minutes or so. It does not seem to be associated with idle time at all. I'll be in the middle of some activity and suddenly find that my database connection on the backend has dropped - anyone seen this. Thanks.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: DB2 Database Connection Dropping every 20-30mins or so ?
Joe, We haven't heard about this before for DB2. May it be network problems that causes the connection to break? Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, I don't have this problem either when working on our internal network. When working via VPN on the other hand it happens sometimes though the VPN connection is still alive. I do think it's some VPN client instability. Best Regards, Markus

Markus, DbVisualizer nor the JDBC drivers act differently depending on whether there is a direct network connection, VPN or other setups. It is quite obvious that there must be something in the transport layer that causes these drops since it works without VPN. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

sorry to re-open this dead old thread. But I am having this problem in DBVisualizer v8. It is timing out in few seconds. It needs to have some form of "keep alive" technique, so that the DB connections do not timeout in a short span of time. for example, I opened a connection to DB2 and brwosed a table. After 2 min, When I refresh the grid or browse a different table, I am get a connection timeout error. Although, the error appears to be coming from DB2, it is apparant that there is no mechanism in DBVis to keep the prior connection alive when the tool is idle. The workaround is there but it is not promising because I lose my resultset. This is very annoying indeed. Definitely needs to be fixed. same issue in all versions of dbvis i have used thus far. I dont have this issue if I use other tools like Teradata SQL Assistant or INSYNC within mainframe etc. Regards, Pasha Edited by: pasha on Jul 18, 2011 8:43 PM

Pasha, I will add your vote for an automatic re-connect feature. This would silently re-connect a dropped connection. Regards Roger

Hi all, I just want to inform you that connection Keep Alive support is now available in the beta version for the upcoming 9.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Enable in Connection Properties and the Connection Keep-Alive category. Regards Roger

I was very happy to find this update to the "old" thread. Have been having very irritating issues with mysql constantly dropping connection. Downloading Beta to give it a whirl. Can you explain what you mean about setting in Connection Properties? The Connection Keep Alive was self explanatory. Edited by: Martie Henry on Nov 3, 2014 10:01 PM

Martie, To enable keep alive for a database connection open the "Properties" tab next to the Connection tab. Then chose Keep Alive in the list of categories. When selected enable Keep Alive in the right details pane. Regards Roger

I am experiencing the same issue with DbVisualizer Pro 9.1.11 when connecting to Vertica. I tried to follow the instructions to go in and enable Keep Alive but do not see this option.

Rick, The upcoming keep-alive support is currently only available in a beta (preview) version as explained in my previous post: "I just want to inform you that connection Keep Alive support is now available in the beta version for the upcoming 9.2 version. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Enable in Connection Properties and the Connection Keep-Alive category." Regards Roger

Hi all, DbVisualizer 9.2 is now available with keep alive support. http://www.dbvis.com/doc/relnotes/?version=9.2 Regards Roger