Start a new topic

Sybase ASE stored procedure

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, I'm currently evaluating several tools for SQL editing. Your tools is full of interesting features and good looking. Our database systems are mostly Sybase, with lot of stored procedures (SP)... But the modification of SP is not easy, I have to add manually the drop of the SP in SQL commander. I would like is [b]an enhancement of stored procedure visualizer to be able to edit SP directly from it[/b] (with ability to switch from visualization of edition mode) and [b]to compile the SP from it[/b]. It means the code to drop the SP should be add or automatically executed. If you plan to implement it, you could also add another feature for SP which is the possibility to [b]add a pre-execution and a post-execution code[/b]. A little explanation : Sybase offers the possibility of create an temporary table in one SP and then call another SP which uses the temp table. To be able to compile (create) the 2nd SP, the temp table should exist. The pre-execution code will be the code to create the temp table. The post-execution code will be the code to drop the temp table. In the script to create the SP, we will have : - drop sp - pre-execution code - create sp - post-execution code But Sybase only stores the stored procedure code. I mean between "CREATE PROCEDURE xxx AS BEGIN " and the "END" of SP code. It means that the drop, the pre-execution and the post-execution code are not stored on the server. For the drop code, there is no problem because it could be generated. For the 2 others, there is a problem ... To solve it, a solution is to store these 2 pieces of code as comment of the SP and the execution engine will parse the SP code to extract them. Regards Laurent

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Sybase ASE stored procedure
Laurent, Enabling the procedure editor for other databases then Oracle is on the future list. I cannot say right now when it will be available for Sybase. Thanks for your informative posting. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Just to hijack a sybase thread for a moment... Do you know whether a DB2 stored procedure edit/compile function will be along in the near, medium of long term?
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Mark, Probably medium as for Sybase and other DB's. i.e. during the fall. Regards Roger