Start a new topic

Export schema definition as text or XML

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I need to compare two databases to check if their schemas differ. If I could export a whole schema in a flat text file I could apply other tools such as diff to those text files. Using XML would even be better since I then could filter out the relevant information with XQuery/XSLT and apply diff afterwards.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Export schema definition as text or XML
+1 Gilles
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Tobias, This will be partially supported when DbVisualizer includes the DDL generator as this can also be used to diff several databases. The DDL generator is planned for inclusion in the Aug-Sep version. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Any update on this?  Schema compare is really the only thing still lacking in DbVisualizer, for my needs, at least.  Other than that it seems to be an outstanding product.

I would also be interested in a way to export the schema for all tables (and views and triggers) to a file, so I could use an external diff application, as a temporary solution until schema compare gets implemented.

Having the DDL tab is nice, but I need to be able to automatically get all the DDL to a file somehow.

Thanks.

Nathan, We're working on it. Regards Roger

Roger, Thanks for the update. Do you mean a full-blown schema compare is in the works? Do you have an estimate on when it will be released? Thanks Nathan

Hi Nathan, We're working on a schema export feature which lets you export the DDL for selected object types (plus data for tables), as SQL or XML. Initially it will probably only support tables, indexes, views, functions, procedures, packages and package bodies, but we will add other object types as time permits. The XML format can be used to compare different schemas with external diff tools. I cannot promise that the initial version will provide an internal compare feature. This feature is targeted for the next feature release, tentatively for Q1 2008, but as always, the date may change. Regards, Hans

So, if new version will support exporting schema definition as XML, why not add a support for logical only modelling? Let's see... Step 1: Add export database to XML (in progress I hope) Step 2: Add import schema from XML (I suspect XSLT will help) Step 3: Add new database driver "XML Logical only modelling" And than DbVisualizer will be rather DbModeller :)

Hi Michal, Sorry about replying so late. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "logical only modelling." Do you mean viewing and manipulating a pure schema, i.e., object declarations without any data? If so, what specific DbVisualizer features do you see as being useful in such a scenario? I appreciate if you can elaborate a bit on your idea. Best Regards, Hans

I'm assuming he means to create the descriptions of the database tables to be exported as XML without physically creating those in a database. Then you could use it to model tables and then once finalized someone will actually create the tables in a real database. I just wanted to add that we will be eagerly awaiting the schema DDL export feature, that has been big one for us.

For those of you who have been waiting for an Export Schema feature, I'm happy to tell you a first version is in included in the 6.1.1.2 EA release: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap/ We would very much like to hear from you how this satisfies your needs, how you like it in general and if you would like to see any adjustments or improvements. Best Regards, Hans

I think it's great that you have incorporated a schema export facility into DBVisualizer, but I do have a few suggestions that I think would make it more useful and easier to use. First, of course, would be to export all object types (Grants, Sequences, Types and Type Bodies, Synonyms, Jobs, Database Links, etc.). Second, would be to export the objects in a folder structure and individual files as follows: Schema Name Functions Function 1 Function 2 Packages Package 1 Package 2 Package Bodies Package 1 Package 2 etc ..... This would make compares much easier since you could identify exactly which objects were found to be different. The tool I currently use for this type of export is SQLTools (http://www.sqltools.net/) and it really does a good, fast job of exporting. I would be most pleased if the same or very similar export feature was in DBVisualizer so I could get down to only one tool to use. Thanks for the great product and I look forward to continued innovations. Sammy Peoples

Hi Sammy, > First, of course, would be to export all object types (Grants, Sequences, Types and Type Bodies, Synonyms, Jobs, Database Links, etc.). Right, we will be adding more object types over time. > Second, would be to export the objects in a folder structure and individual files as follows: > Schema Name > Functions > Function 1 > Function 2 > Packages > Package 1 > Package 2 > Package Bodies > Package 1 > Package 2 > etc ..... > > This would make compares much easier since you could identify exactly which objects were found to be different. The tool I currently use for this type of export is SQLTools (http://www.sqltools.net/) and it really does a good, fast job of exporting. I would be most pleased if the same or very similar export feature was in DBVisualizer so I could get down to only one tool to use. I'll have a look at this suggestion and see what we can do. Thanks, Hans