Start a new topic

SQL Commander: Jump To Line Containing Error

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When entering an invalid SQL statement in SQL Commander, it would be nice to be able to jump to the line containing the error by clicking on the error message.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL Commander: Jump To Line Containing Error
Chris, I assume you are running Oracle? Based on that it is currently not possible to support this as the Oracle JDBC driver do not produced positioning information when an erroneous SQL has been executed. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yes, this is on Oracle. I don't know much about JDBC, but Oracle SQL Developer does actually manage to tell the exact location of the error (Line:x Column:y) although it does not jump there either. I would have guessed that this information comes from the JDBC driver as the tool does use the JDBC Thin driver as well.

Chris, Interesting that the line/column info is listed in SQL Developer. This has been a common requested improvement in the SQL Commander. The problem has been that the Oracle driver does not tell what line/column an error is located. It is impossible to say whether SQL Developer introduce some magical non-driver processing here to report line/column or if it is actually using the driver only. We will check this. Regards Roger

David, Just to inform you that we've just launched the BETA testing of the next DbVisualizer version. In this version DbVisualizer will highlight errors in the SQL for Oracle and several other databases. Give it a try. http://www.dbvis.com/download/beta/ Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

AWESOME! Just installed and tested, works great so far. Thank you very much! Cheers, Chris Edited by: Chris on 28-Jun-2013 11:49

Hi Chris, This is now included in the just released DbVisualizer 9.1. Best Regards, Hans

Hans, Is this something that needs to be configured somewhere in the tool? I would like to know if this works with Sybase JTDS-7.0

Hi Alex, Error highlighting is unfortunately only available for Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Informix, JavaDB/Derby and Mimer SQL at this point. Best Regards, Hans