Start a new topic

Get bookmarked query through keyboard shortcuts and type-ahead

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'd like to see a few additional features around bookmarks.

I'm a bit of a keyboard fiend so I'd like the option to call up and use a bookmarked query through a few keystrokes.

Imagine...

I'm working away on our dev database and I need to change one of our sys param values stored in a table. I would usually select the value, then run the update and then select it again, all in the same execution block. It's something I do frequently so I bookmark the query.

Now, instead of having to use the bookmarks menu I'd like to hit the control character for "insert bookmark from list", keep typing "change system param" (the bookmark name) and as I'm typing that string, the list of bookmarks matching the growing string is filtered down and presented in the same way as the existing auto-complete.

In fact, I might not know exactly which system param bookmark I'm looking for, but I know that it has the word "system" in it somewhere. So, if I type "system", the list brings back "insert new system parameter", "change system param" and "system verification" for instance. The type-ahead should bring back all bookmarks that include the typed string.

By the way, I'd like all auto-complete to work in the same way actually, pulling back all items that match the supplied string anywhere in the item's name.

Selecting the bookmark from the list, in the same way as auto-complete, replaces the typed string with the bookmarked query.

I'd also like a simple keyboard/mouse shortcut way of storing bookmarks. I can select the query, select the save as bookmark option from either the right-click menu or by a keyboard shortcut, supply a name and probably a folder and that's that.

Do any of those sound promising?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Get bookmarked query through keyboard shortcuts and type-ahead
Hi Mark, I like the idea of quickly finding and loading a bookmark into the editor. I'll add this one to the future list. Regarding your second idea about saving bookmarks. What do you think of modifying the "Add Bookmark" menu by just having one entry, "Add Bookmark". Then in the dialog that is displayed you enter an optional name for it + select what folder it should go into (if any). Changing the current Add Bookmark sub menu style into a single item also makes it easy assigning a single key binding to it. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Get bookmarked query through keyboard shortcuts and type-ahead
A new keyboard shortcut for adding bookmarks would be fine. I'm pretty keen for the process to be: 1) Highlight SQL 2) hit the keyboard shortcut 3) type the bookmark name in the dialog 4) select the folder (or leave at the default) 5) hit enter Which I think is what you are proposing. So, yeah, nice one.