Start a new topic

New Inline editor commands

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

We know we can change things like statement deimiters through the preferences dialog but on some occasions it would be useful to have a command that essentially says "in this block, use the following preferences".

What's prompted this is that I'm just working up a unit test script for the addition of a DB2 trigger. The trigger needs to run 2 sql statements in response to an update. As it needs to run 2 statements the drop and create statements have to look like the example below (where @ is the new delimiter).

DROP TRIGGER MYSCHEMA.MYTRIGGER@
CREATE TRIGGER MYSCHEMA.MYTRIGGER
AFTER UPDATE OF SOME_FIELD ON MYSCHEMA.MYTABLE
REFERENCING NEW ROW AS NEW
FOR EACH ROW
MODE DB2SQL
WHEN (new.SOME_FIELD = 'D')
BEGIN ATOMIC

the first sql statement goes here;

the second sql statement goes here;

END
@

Ideally, my unit test script will have a bunch of statements to set up test data, run in the trigger and then a bunch of statements to trigger it and verify the results.

I don't want to write the whole script using the @ statement delimiter as it isn't highlighted as with semi-colon and would be non-standard and liable to confuse.

If I could surround a statement with a command that says "use this delimiter", I could drop in those non-standard sql statements and then return to the rest of the script using our standard expected delimiters.

I'm sure there are other settings that would be useful to set within a script through the use of commands but this is the one that's making me revisit the properties panel a lot today.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: New Inline editor commands
Mark, Something like: [nobr] [pre] SQL1 here; @set delimiter "@"; SQL2 here...@ SQL3 here...@ @set delimiter default; SQL4 here; [/pre] [/nobr] Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: New Inline editor commands

Yes, that kind of thing would be ideal.

I'm sure there are other "preferences" that users would like to see made available the same way. As I come across settings I'd use I'll post back here.