Start a new topic

Database Search feature

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Prior to DB Visualizer I was using DB Artisan. One nice feature that this tool has that I would like to see in DB Vis is a search feature that allows you to perform a search within a database for any string. DB Artisan opens a dialog, letting you select one or more of the configure servers, drill down into one or more of each servers databases, drill down into the schemas, and finally select (tables, triggers, procedures, etc.. ) to perform the search against. The results are displayed on a split screen window with the objects on the left and the source on the right (when an object is selected) with the search text highlighted.

I think this would be a very useful addition to DB Vis as I find I have a tendency to go back to DB Artisan on occasion to use this feature.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Database Search feature
Chris, The search feature has been improved in the next version by allowing from where the search should start. It also allows searching object names via regular expression. One problem though is that it only supports searching for object names as how they are be presented in the objects tree. Another detail is that you may only search for objects that may appear in the DbVisualizer objects tree. Depending on what database you are using there may be object types that don't show in the objects tree and so these will not be searched. You may give the latest early access version a try: http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/eap Try it and let me know more specific requirements you may have. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

This search feature is good, but it only allows for search object names. What I was hoping for was a way to search the text of these objects. Of course I could always search through the syscomments table (Sybase ASE) to find an entry that would contain the text, but it would be wonderful if DB Vis could do this for me. For example, I was receiving an Exception when I was inserting a row of data. The message was cryptic and seeing as the insert was performed via a stored procedure I had to go searching for the text. This was complicated because the sp called other sp's and ultimately triggers were fired, which is where the message was coming from. If DB Vis could search through the text of these objects for the search string it would make life much simpler in these situations.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Chris, We have a more advanced search capability that operates specifically for each database on the feature list. It has not been scheduled yet. Regards Roger