Start a new topic

Quick execute feature for Query Builder

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I am evaluating DBV with a view to migrating a community of non-technical users over to using it for generating ad-hoc database queries. Their generation of new queries is intermittent (say every other day at the most frequent) so ease of use is paramount. One thing that gives me pause is the need to copy SQL from the Query Builder to the SQL Editor in order to execute it. What I'd like to see is the easiest way of viewing query results from a QB generated query. Would it be possible to have a couple of extra buttons in Query Builder? A do it it now button which copied to SQL Editor and executed the query A quick do it button which maybe had a 'limit 10' on the query to check what the results looked like. Ideally this could be done without leaving the query builder pane but that might be asking too much. Ed

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Quick execute feature for Query Builder
Hi Ed, Adding a "do it now" button in the Query Builder that copies the SQL to the SQL Editor and executes it, showing the result (and the SQL) in the SQL Editor would be fairly easy to do. To limit the number of rows in the result, you can enter a value in the Max Rows field. Would that satisfy your needs? Executing the query and showing the result without switching the GUI to the SQL Editor would require a lot more implementation effort. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Yes, a 'do it now' button, would meet the bulk of my needs, must admit I hadn't noticed the max rows field. Thanks for listening, Ed
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Ed, The "do it now" button will be included in the next Early Access (EA) version, scheduled for release tomorrow, and then in the next feature release. Please try out the EA when it becomes available and let us know what you think. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Have tried this out in the EA version, seems to work OK and is a worthwhile improvement IMHO. Thanks a lot. Ed