Start a new topic

SQL Join over Connections

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello I need to create a SQL Statement with a join connecting 2 databases. Is this possible with the minq Software to do something like this?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL Join over Connections
Hi, You may edit the SQL and execute it in DbVisualizer only if the two databases supports cross-database executions i.e. DbVisualizer doesn't offer built-in support for it. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Thanks for your info. Unfortunately it is impossible to have database cross execution. This is due to security guides in our production environment. I need to find a tool which supports my requirements. Yes, I know that reporting tools like BO are familiar with requirements like that - but this is not a solution for datamining regards, detlev
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Detlev, You could try this cheap-and-cheerful method. I just gave it a go with 2 SQL servers (without using linked servers) and it worked for me. 1. Create ODBC datasources for the databases you want to join tables from. 2. Create an MS Access database and add the tables you want to join as link tables. You may want to rename the link tables in access if it mangles the table name. 3. Save the database and create an ODBC datasource for the access database. 4. Connect to the access database via DBVis using the ODBC/JDBC bridge and execute the join. Some downsides to this are that you have to use MS Access syntax for the SQL query and that it's obviously much slower than a direct database connection. That said though, it does allow you a quick method of producing cross-server table joins if you really need them.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Detlev, As an alternative to what Vince suggest, you can try using the bundled H2 database as a bridge as described here: http://confluence.dbvis.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3146054 Best Regards, Hans