Start a new topic

make output type html for actions

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Roger, more and more, the oracle utilities in the database generate next to dbms_output also html output. This output is in many times generated in a table function that shows the result as a result set. I think it would be very nice if this output is collected and opened in a web browser where it can be viewed. At the moment the workflow for many dba's will be 1) run sqlplus the generate a html files 2) copy the file to a desktop 3) drop the file in a broeser window If dbvis could do this in 1 pass it would make life a lot easier. As far as I know, no other tool does this so it would be an extra pre against other tools. Ronald.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: make output type html for actions
Hi Ronald, Ok, then I understand. An action that implicitly transform a result set into HTML and automatically launches the browser when action is complete. I'll note this request. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, I am not sure about that. What I am thinking about is actions that generate html output. the sqlcommander could do the same. If it can be made that a browser can be launched with the html file (a unique name in /tmp I think) as argument it could very well do what I am thinking about. It should not be 2 manual steps, preferably fully automatic based on output type when caused by an action and a single command like export to browser from the sqlcommander or any result window. regards, Ronald
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ronald, What about combining the DB calls in the SQL Commander with the use of @export? This will then run the actual SQLs and output the result to a file (HTML) which can then be opened in a browser. What is missing compared to your suggestion is the last "open in browser" step. If we were to add support to launch a browser from within the SQL Commander i.e. via some new "@launch" command, would that then fulfill the task? Best Regards Roger