Start a new topic

Show Database Info With Results

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, You guys have always been awesome with support issues I've had in the past, so thanks for such a great tool -- I don't know what I would do without it. I'd like to suggest a simple enhancement that would make life easier. I have to manage multiple different databases and often find myself running small update scripts on each database sequentially. Because of this, it can be easy to loose track of whether or not I've run the script on the currently selected database or not, and the result window isn't terribly helpful there. So my suggestion is hopefully a very simple one: Place the name of the database connection, database and selected schema (if applicable) at the bottom of the results window, possibly to the left side (as the time and row counts are on the right side). This way, no matter what database and server is currently selected up top, the bottom of the results window shows the connection and db that the results came from. Hope someone finds this idea useful. :-) Michael

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]
[Attachment has been removed.]

Re: Show Database Info With Results
Michael, A follow up on this is that you may already define so that result sets are titled with the Alias for the connection it was generated. See the attached screenshot how this is done. Regards Roger

Hi Michael, Ok, that makes sense. I will register a ticket for this. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

> {quote:title=Roger Bjarevall wrote:}{quote} > > You mention the idea that connection info should be displayed at the "bottom of the results window". Are you referring to the bottom of the result set grid or the log? A screenshot would explain what context you mean. > Actually, in both :-) Sorry, I forgot that the result set and log output were different panels. When running a command such as an ALTER, CREATE, TRUNCATE, etc. You do see "Physical database connection acquired for: " on the first line, but only the first time the connection is run -- each subsequent action you do does not show this, and in neither case does it show the database that the action was performed on as well. Like in my case, I need to run a small script on about 25 databases, but looking at my DBVisualizer screen, I cannot tell what database or connection the log output I am seeing is for. It might be the one selected at the top, or I may have already selected the next database, but have not yet run the script. So having it identify in the log output which connection and database would be good. Maybe something like: 14:06:51 [CREATE - 0 row(s), 0.240 secs] Command processed. No rows were affected _ [Connection Name:Database Name] - 1 statement(s) executed, 0 row(s) affected, exec/fetch time: 0.240/0.000 sec And then, as I mentioned before, also show something similar in the bottom row of the result set as well, so that you can easily tell which connection and database the results were taken from. Hope this helps, and I can make a mockup screenshot for each if you would like. Michael

Hi Michael, Thanks for your post. You mention the idea that connection info should be displayed at the "bottom of the results window". Are you referring to the bottom of the result set grid or the log? A screenshot would explain what context you mean. Regards Roger