Start a new topic

export select output, dbcompare, session logger

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, 1. it would be really nice if it would support a way to write query output to file instead of grid (as csv, sql insert statements, html, xml, etc,). This would help when a query would return a large number of rows (millions, billions) that would normally block the app when outputed to grid. Also it would be very helpful in exporting large amounts of data according to a complex criteria specified in a where clause, etc of a select statement. 2. A 'compare databases' (diff) functionality (maybe even accross DB engines vi standar object types - tables, views, procedures, synonyms, etc) would be really welcome. 3. when using putty, i always have a log enabled that outputs everything. it would also be nice to have in dbvis the possibility to save session history. actual query, affected rows, datetime, type (via sql commander, via object view) would suffice. All saved to dynamically named files (as in putty - %H(ost)-D(ate)T(ime), etc), 1 per session. It would really help it reusing code (did a select once on a file and forgot how i built the query, for instance, just search the dbvis history folder where all session history files are stored). Edited by: Ardealul on Nov 26, 2010 9:27 AM

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: export select output, dbcompare
Ardealul, 1) Please check the @export client side command as it does exactly what you are requesting. Read more in: http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/doc/main/doc/ug/sqlCommander/sqlCommander.html#mozTocId448386 2) We have diff on the todo list. I'll add your vote. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

added 3. in first post :D
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Ardealul, 3) Are you requesting in auditing log? Have you checked the SQL History feature? Isn't it sufficient? Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

yup, audit log but per session..as in putty. putty can write every command entered + the return of every command in a separate log file per session. for a dba this would be very helpful as it allows to quickly search into the audit files for a script that you know you wrote once in order to do something. i use this a lot with my putty audit log files which i name &Y&M&D-&T-IP-hostname.txt it would be nice if dbvis would have such a feature. main file would contain smth like date-time-IP-connection (which db or schema,etc)-statement-statement_id for each main file there would be separate results files named "main_file_%statement_id%.txt" containing the results of the statements run in the main file. Edited by: Ardealul on Mar 17, 2011 11:43 AM