Start a new topic

Connection should be opened automatically, when closed

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, if a closed database connection is selected in SQL Commander, on hit of , DBVis should a) connect to the selected database b) execute the SQL query all in one step, fully automatically. Currently, I need to 1. read a dialog box 2. Hit Enter / click Connect 3. Get another dialog box (which is, quite inconsistently, not shown when connecting through the Connection browser) 3. Hit Ctrl-Enter again All I want is the SQL getting executed! Regards, Freewater

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Connection should be opened automatically, when closed
Jeremy, I've opened a ticket for your suggestion. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

This was great user feedback. If a checkbox could be added to this pop-up that will allow the user to say 'automatically connect and execute in the future if the connection isn't open' that would be great. I love the tool overall, but this is absolutely the most painful and annoying aspect of using the tool. With this dialog removed (or at least the option to configure the system to assume that 'connect & execute' will always be selected, so just forego the dialog), the tool would have no awkward usage blemishes. Thanks, Jeremy
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, > if a closed database connection is selected in SQL Commander, on hit of , DBVis should > a) connect to the selected database > b) execute the SQL query > all in one step, fully automatically. Please see below why these steps are needed. > Currently, I need to > 1. read a dialog box This window alerts you that the connection is currently not live and need your confirmation that it should be established. This box may eventually prompt for userid, password and other details if the connection details lack some required information. > 2. Hit Enter / click Connect > 3. Get another dialog box (which is, quite inconsistently, not shown when connecting through the Connection browser) This progress window is displayed only if the connection setup take more than a second to establish. The reason this window is not displayed when connecting in the database browser/connection tab is because the progress is then listed in the database browser/connection tab and so there is no reason to popup one more window. > 3. Hit Ctrl-Enter again > > All I want is the SQL getting executed! Correct. The reason for this is that once the connection is finally established the database/schema drop-downs are populated with information from the database. These may potentially contain other data than was used when the SQL was last run. The user now have the opportunity to verify these before running the SQL. All these steps are by design and happen only when a database connection is not live. Following executes will run the SQL directly. Best Regards Roger