Start a new topic

Forward/Back buttons in object explorer

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

When I'm editing a table I often need to quickly pop to another table to find some data and then paste it abck into the original table. Often the other table resides on another database server, making it a pain to have to scroll up and down the object trees of two servers to switch between the tables. The recent ability to add favourites makes this much simpler but I do still need to drop both tables into the favourites window prior to beginning editing. A quicker approach would be simply to have Forward and Back buttons above the object tree, near where the Reload Tree and Filter buttons are. These could simply navigate through the last few objects you selected via the object tree (assuming the connections were still active).

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Forward/Back buttons in object explorer
Hi, In the feature version following the one that is about to be released, we plan to re-design the object view and SQL Commander features. Your idea with forward/backward is something we will take into consideration. Thanks! Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

It's been a couple of years now so I thought I'd bump this up. Browser-style Back/Forward buttons allowing you to navigate the object history would still be a very useful feature that doesn't seem to have been adressed in beta 91.2030.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Vince, We carefully looked at different approaches to the scenario you describe as well as other scenarios, including the browser-style navigation buttons. At the end, we came to the conclusion that browser-style buttons are not ideal in cases where the content can not be swapped all the time (if there are pending edits, a job running, etc.) and that being able to have multiple Object View tabs open at the same time would help in both your scenario and lots of others. You can even place the tabs side-by-side to easily copy/paste between them. Please see this Users Guide page for ideas about how the new tab layout system can be used: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/tabs/tabs.html Best Regards, Hans