Start a new topic

Improve database design capabilities

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I really like DbVisualizer and I would like to use it to design my databases as well as maintain them. It is possible to use the software to design a schema but it is a little cumbersome (at least in my version 7.0.4). For example: there should be a "pseudo db" connection that does not require creation of actual tables in a real database, which is unneccessary while I'm working on the schema. Instead, I just want to create a "theoretical" schema, which will change frequently while I'm designing it. When I'm done, I would like to save the design and DDL and maybe select a real db connection to execute the code and create the db. More importantly, in my version, the relations view doesn't update automatically when I make changes to the tables and (really a bit of a show stopper) even manually updating doesn't work when I create a new table. I have to reconnect to the database (I'll submit a bug report for that too because I don't think it should be like that anyway). I also think that the create/alter table dialogs could be streamlined a bit. For example, there should be a shortcut for creating a new colmn and the cursor should be placed in column name so I can start to write the new name (right now I have to click on col name to edit it). Would be really great if there was an option to suggest foreign keys based on names automatically, for example, automatically suggest that a column "car_id" refers to "car_id" in table "cars" or even "id" if there is a table "cars". Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Improve database design capabilities
Frank, > {quote:title=Frank Schwach wrote:}{quote} > I really like DbVisualizer and I would like to use it to design my databases as well as maintain them. It is possible to use the software to design a schema but it is a little cumbersome (at least in my version 7.0.4). > For example: there should be a "pseudo db" connection that does not require creation of actual tables in a real database, which is unneccessary while I'm working on the schema. Instead, I just want to create a "theoretical" schema, which will change frequently while I'm designing it. When I'm done, I would like to save the design and DDL and maybe select a real db connection to execute the code and create the db. The references feature is currently not a design tool. We have a number of requests to add design capabilities whereas the diagram is then used to show existing tables and transient tables not yet propagated in the database. There are a bunch of other things related to this that should be incorporated in such feature. > More importantly, in my version, the relations view doesn't update automatically when I make changes to the tables and (really a bit of a show stopper) even manually updating doesn't work when I create a new table. I have to reconnect to the database (I'll submit a bug report for that too because I don't think it should be like that anyway). The reload issue is solved from version 7.1. > I also think that the create/alter table dialogs could be streamlined a bit. For example, there should be a shortcut for creating a new colmn and the cursor should be placed in column name so I can start to write the new name (right now I have to click on col name to edit it). In 8.0 we added better key binding support in the create/alter table features. Using it you can define all column attributes with the keyboard. > Would be really great if there was an option to suggest foreign keys based on names automatically, for example, automatically suggest that a column "car_id" refers to "car_id" in table "cars" or even "id" if there is a table "cars". I'll add your vote for this and your other suggestions. I suggest you give 8.0 a try. Thanks again for your feedback. Best Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Improve database design capabilities
Thanks a lot for your reply. A design feature with transient and existing tables sounds really great. It would add a lot to this great tool!