Start a new topic

Import: retain input column data types

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I like the way that the import facility retains configuration settings between invocations as it allows me to cancel out and fix things and then retry in case of problems. Unfortunately it does not retain the column data types set on the "Data Formats" screen. If, for example, I change an input column's data type from Number to String the next time I invoke import it will have reset to back to Number. Can these be retained as well?

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Import: retain input column data types
Hi Steve, Thanks for the suggestion. I have registered it and we will look into it, but it is unfortunately not as simple as it may sound with the current design of the Import wizard. Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi Hans, Thanks for the reply. > {quote:title=Hans Bergsten wrote:}{quote} > Thanks for the suggestion. I have registered it and we will look into it, but it is unfortunately not as simple as it may sound with the current design of the Import wizard. Pity. What would be REALLY nice would be the ability to save "import profiles" to disk, where these profiles would contain all of the import settings. More and more I'm being called on to assist with data migrations and find myself performing the same imports multiple times with only minor changes. I've scripted these kinds of things in the past with DBMS tools like Oracle's SQL*Loader, but the DbVisualizer interface is much nicer. It would be a real time-saver if I could just retrieve one of these "import profile" files to initialize the import settings.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi Steve, Thanks for the feedback. We have a number of ideas for how to improve the Import feature, among them support for multiple saved settings (as you can use for Export today) and an @import command that can be used in scripts, just as you suggested. We prioritize what features to work on based on the number of customers who ask for them. Adding your vote to the list for this gives it higher priority but the work is not yet planned for a specific release. Best Regards, Hans