Start a new topic

SQL history: use connection id instead or in addition to name

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, I make a lot of support and therefore have a lot of the same database connections for different customers, organized in folders, resulting in the connections itself have very often the same name, because the customer can be seen by looking at the connections tree. The SQL history comes in very handy in my scenarios, because I can just click the button to get the previously executed SQL command in history some times and very often get what I need at the moment without searching or whatever. Each history entry has a associated connection name and whenever I forgot to change the connection name to an already active connection on execution of the history entry I'm asked to establish a connection. The problem now is that DbVisualizer searches the tree for a connection of the same name like associated with the history and uses the first one found, which in my connection tree organization is most of the time the wrong one. As in XML all connections already have an id, I would suggest and ask for that each history entry not only gets an associated connection name, but in addition or instead of that the id of the active connection for which the SQL command was executed when it was saved as a history entry. This way on restoring the history entry you could get the connection name for showing it in dropdowns etc. by searching the tree for the connection id associated with the history entry and could establish the connection used before. My connections tree looks like the following: customer1 - productA - productB customer2 - productA - productB [...] In my case I would execute some SQL for customer2/productA with some values and would execute it maybe an hour later for the same customer and product, just different values. The history entry of the hour before contains everythign I need but on execution it want's to open customer1/productA instead of customer2/productA for which it was originally executed. It would be really nice if you could change this because I don't see any benefit in using a non-identifiying connection name, just to use the first connection with the same name instead of using exactly the connection for which the history was executed before. One can always override the connection to use for a history, but now I'm forced to so. Thanks!

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL history: use connection id instead or in addition to name
Thorsten, Sorry for the delay. The current history information supports both identifying database connections by name or id for backward compatibility. I need to check why we decided to abandon connection id while introducing the latest updates in the history support. Update: what I mean with "supports both" is that DbVisualizer is able to locate the matching database connection if the id of the connection is specified in the history meta data file. However, when it save the associated database connection for a history entry it saves the connection name. What I will check if we instead can save the connection id. Best Regards Roger Edited by: Roger Bjarevall on 2012-apr-24 13:49
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: SQL history: use connection id instead or in addition to name
Thanks, that would be great.