Start a new topic

SQL delimtier in SQL commander

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

In certain situations, it may be useful or necessary to change the SQL delimiters, e.g. with the CREATE PROCEDURE statement. As fas as I know, there are currently 2 options to change the SQL delimiter: 1) in the General Tool Properties hard to locate, then valid for all databases and SQL's 2) using internal @ delimiter statement within the SQL commander hard to remember IIt would be great if users would have the opportunity to change the SQL delimiter as an option of an SQL commander tab. regards D.

1 person likes this idea

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: SQL delimtier in SQL commander
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. Before looking into this, though, I want to make sure that you are aware of two other alternatives. First, in the SQL Commander you can use Execute Buffer to send the complete content of the editor to the database as one statement, without DbVisualizer splitting statements based on the delimiter: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/sqlCommander/sqlCommander.html#mozTocId958847 Second, you can use the Procedure Editor to edit stored procedures, functions and triggers: http://www.dbvis.com/doc/main/doc/ug/procEditor/procEditor.html Does any of these resolve your problem? Best Regards, Hans
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello Hans, step-wise execution in SQL commander is no relief, because CREATE PROCEDURE statement may consist of several statements, each terminated by delimiter ; The Procedure Editor or Script Procedure are not always an alternative: Functions are not supported for e.g. DB2 z/OS procedures. And there may be other situations in which it would be useful to ad-hoc change the SQL delimiter just with a click. Regards D.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Hi, > {quote:title=DEYJKARK wrote:}{quote} > step-wise execution in SQL commander is no relief, because CREATE PROCEDURE statement may consist of several statements, each terminated by delimiter ; > But when you use Execute Buffer, the delimiters are ignored; the whole CREATE statement is sent as-is to the database. Please give it a try to see what I mean. Best Regards, Hans