Start a new topic

EXPLAIN DB2 z/OS SQL statements

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello dev team, a desperate search in the forums shows that this issue pops up every year: EXPLAIN and DB2 z/OS. It seems that DbVis 9 supports more database systems EXPLAIN'ing, but not yet DB2 for z/OS. Do you plan to support EXPLAIN for DB2 for z/OS SQL statements. A naive querstion: What's about EXPLAIN'ing DB2 for z/OS? The z/OS part of the DbVis community possibly may help to provide a solution. Regards D.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: EXPLAIN DB2 z/OS SQL statements
Hi, We do have explain for DB2 z/OS on the future list. It is not scheduled for any release at this point. I will add your vote for it. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi. Any News on this Feature? it would realy help us.. thanks....

Jochen, We performed a study of the DB2 z/OS explain functionality a few months ago and it appears to be far more complex that we initially thought. Based on the limited number of requests we decided it is not justified going further with explain support for DB2 z/OS at that point. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Roger, There are more of us out here that would really benefit from DB2 z/OS explain functionality! DBVisualizer Pro is the tool of choice for administering all our configuration data (a lot) for the system I'm currently involved in. During development it would very valuable to us to measure and tune our queries with such an easy-to-use tool as DBVisuallizer. The tool is an excellent choice for all of our tasks - with the notable exception of that we are missing the z/OS explain functionality. I don't know if one extra vote will help you change your mind - but making it available would probably make a really good product even better - and of course help to expand your customer base! /Regards Egil

Egil, Thanks for your feedback. I will add your vote. I believe IBM have announced an updated explain tool for their DB2 z/OS database. This is what we recommend for now. I fully understand that this is a function expected for inclusion in DbVisualizer but based on the complexity of explain for DB2 z/OS it requires substantial efforts to make it happen. Regards Roger