Start a new topic

Explain Plan - separate ANALYZE option

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Depending on the duration of a query, EXPLAIN ANALYZE can take a long time to return, especially when tuning new SQL. In these cases, I will often use an estimated EXPLAIN to look for the longest stage. DbVis 9 supplies the option to use EXPLAIN or EXPLAIN ANALYZE, but having separate commands (or a modifier), would be more convenient.

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Explain Plan - separate ANALYZE option
Matt, We have an open ticket to improve this. Thanks! Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Is this feature perhaps assigned to a future version? Being able to EXPLAIN quickly while eliminating major performance bottleneck, then easily switching to EXPLAIN ANALYZE for actual metrics without going into a configuration menu would save some time.
[Attachment has been removed.]

Matt, In the next 9.1 version it will be possible to change the setting for Explain Analyze in the explain tab rather than having to goto Explain Settings. See attached screenshot. I hope this is what you are looking for. Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Does this require an EXPLAIN to be run to display the option? I ask as if I have a long running EXPLAIN ANALYZE, and this setting is cached, is the ability to change the setting blocked until the query completes? Would separate EXPLAIN and EXPLAIN ANALYZE buttons difficult to implement? Edited by: MattK on Jun 24, 2013 11:48 PM
[Attachment has been removed.]

Matt, Sorry for the delay. In the next feature version there will be a split button with the option to enable Analyze for the next explain plan execution. See image. Regards Roger

Matt, This is now fixed in the 91.2037 BETA version. Regards Roger

Works great. If I had one more suggestion it would be to change the button icon to reflect the current setting of EXPLAIN or ANALYZE.

Hi Matt, DbVisualizer 9.1 has just been released, with the same support you saw in the Beta. Best Regards, Hans