Start a new topic

Automatically sync settings between two DbVisualizer installations

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hello, I'm using DbVisualizer on my iMac and on my MacBook. And it would be nice, if the settings would be synced between the two installations. Perhaps just using a dropbox folder to automatically storing changes and automatically importing them on DbVisualizer startup. What do you think about this? Greetings, Stefan

[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Re: Automatically sync settings between two DbVisualizer installations
I did similar with a few tools, amongst others DbVisualizer: client ronr@minimac3:~ $>ls -l .dbvis/ total 560 lrwxr-xr-x 1 ronr ronr 50 30 okt 20:47 Bookmarks -> /Users/ronr/Dropbox/Library/dbVisualizer/Bookmarks -rw-r--r-- 1 ronr ronr 136555 17 feb 2010 Bookmarks.zip drwxr-xr-x 234 ronr ronr 7956 21 nov 19:38 History lrwxr-xr-x 1 ronr ronr 49 30 okt 20:47 Monitors -> /Users/ronr/Dropbox/Library/dbVisualizer/Monitors In my case I only did it for the bookmarks and monitors because other wise I would also copy connection details and I don't want that. If you don't mind about that, easiest is to create a folder Library/DbVisualizer folder in your dropbox folder move the ~/.dbvis folder into that newly created folder create a symbolic link that connects ~/.dbvis to the moved .dbvis folder. mkdir -p ~/Dropbox/Library/DbVisualizer mv ~/.dbvis ~/Dropbox/Library/DbVisualizer/ ln -sf ~/Dropbox/Library/DbVisualizer/.dbvis ~/.dbvis I hope this helps, Ronald.
[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Automatically sync settings between two DbVisualizer installations
Stefan, An alternative to Ronalds suggestion is to share all of your settings with Dropbox. Do this by telling DbVisualizer to use an alternative location of the settings directory using the -prefsdir argument: *open DbVisualizer.app --args -prefsdir ~/Dropbox/dbvis* Now all your settings will be stored in the ~/Dropbox/dbvis directory. Be aware that only a single instance of DbVisualizer is run at a time since the settings are shared. I hope this helps. Regards Roger