Start a new topic

Show all Db in postgresql

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Hi, In demo version of dbvisualizer, when i connect to a database. I can see all database on the postgres server not only the one in URL. The other database (not referenced in url) are not accessible but visible If i use the full version, i can only see the database referenced in url. Can you mix this two behavior, see all database in full version and list object if i have the good credential on it. It's boring to create for every database a connection ;). Thank you

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Show all Db in postgresql
Bertrand, I will add your vote for improving multi database support for PostgreSQL. (The current limitation is due to restrictions in PostgreSQL that don't allow accessing other databases than the default). Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

I'm also dismayed by the lack of this feature. We have tens of databases, each with their own schemas. We never had a problem in Oracle, so it seems strange to have such a limitation in Postgres. Roger, is there a way to remove this limitation from the DB server config files?

Hi, This is a limitation of PostgreSQL. We do have an open ticket so that DbVisualizer implicitly open an additional connection when browsing other databases. This is not scheduled as of now. Read more in the PostgreSQL FAQ: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_perform_queries_using_multiple_databases.3F Regards Roger
[This reply is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

Even though quering multiple databases is not possible in postgres it would be nice to adjust the browsing tree accorging to the behaviour in postgresql and the jdbc driver. Either implement multi-database support per in one connection perhaps a bit like in pgadmin or drop the database level in the tree altogether, like it is for eg oracle or mysql. In the first case you would need to define one 'maintanance database' (defaulting to 'postgres') which would be used to query what other databases are available.

Jonas, Thanks for the reply. Great to see your ideas match our own ideas quite well. Regards Roger

Hi, I really hope listing all db's that are available to the connection makes it soon to a release. It is the only thing keeping me from renewing my license. It is very annoying having to define each and every db manually. It is the only software I know having this way of working. We looked at Navicat, VStudio,... which all list all db's of a server. So it does not look like it is a postgresql problem... Regards and hoping...

Bart, This is something that we are looking into. It will however not make its way into the upcoming 9.2 version. Maybe in a 9.2.x version released soon after. 9.2 is planned in a few weeks. Regards Roger

Please do add it as soon as possible. Cheers, Avelino

I'm wondering when this feature is planned. Being part of the postgres community, I can describe how pgAdmin does this, Essentially, pgAdmin connects to whatever database is listed in the connect string, then, it runs something similar to: select datname from pg_database; Then, it lists all of the databases in the drop-down tree. If you click one to connect, it'll actually make a new connection to the dbserver, just to that database. This is a highly-highly critical feature for me. I manage a LOT of postgres instances, all with multiple databases. This is a really, necessary feature for any tool that wants to be go-to for Postgres admins.

Scott, I will add your vote for this enhancement. As said in a previous post, this is something we will look into soon. Regards Roger

I'm glad to see that this issue gets some attention. One drawback of the pgadmin approach is that settings are done on the cluster or server level and no settings (among them credentials and search_path) can be set on a database level. If I may suggest, I would like a solution where the levels 'Databases' and the one with the database name could be dropped from the browsing tree, like for e.g. Oracle. The levels do provide very little extra information. Like this: * "connection name" ** Schemas *** information_schema *** mydata *** public (default) ** DBA Views The ability to query and present the databases could be integrated it the connection making wizard or an new tab on the connection level named something like 'all databases'. Here, an tool to quickly define a new connection could be a nice extra feature. Another place could be as an item under the 'DBA Views'. Regards, Jonas Edited formatting: Jonas Sundman on 2015-jan-22 10:39

Thanks Jonas. I will add your suggestions to the ticket. Regards Roger

Please add my vote for this feature. In my view, way of implementing this feature is of secondary importance - comparing to implementing the feature (one way or another) as soon as possible. Regards, Mario

Dbvis devs, Yeah... the tool seems great but this is a really annoying limitation. I would buy the tool definitly if this was corrected. Cheers!