Start a new topic

Please enhance the "Cell Form" window to respect text encoding completely

[This topic is migrated from our old forums. The original author name has been removed]

The "Cell form" window for text does use the database encoding correctly. But when switching from "Text" to "Hex Viewer", the text seems to be converted to ISO-8859-1, having all characters after U+00FF replaced with question marks. For example: "ä" is U+00E4, its UTF-8 byte sequence is "c3 a4", but the "Hex Viewer" displays "." - "E4" (no, not "00 E4"). "ē" is U+0113, its UTF-8 byte sequence is "c4 93", but the "Hex Viewer" displays "?" - "3F", the hex code for the question mark... Can you please enhance the "Cell Form" "Hex Viewer"? Edited by: Gerhard Kozuschek on 11.03.2013 15:47
1 Comment

[This reply is migrated from our old forums.]

Re: Please enhance the "Cell Form" window to respect text encoding completely
Hi Gerhard, I've looked at this and I'm not sure there's much we can do here. No matter which encoding is used for the character data in the database, it is converted by the driver into Unicode (or rather, into Java char's which represent UTF-16 code units). The Hex View shows the hex representation of the Unicode data, encoded as per the platform default. There is no way for DbVisualizer to figure out which encoding is used by the database. For some drivers/databases, it could possibly be done by looking at the driver-specific properties for encoding, but many driver/databases figures this out internally. If I've missed something, please don't hesitate to get back to us. Best Regards, Hans